Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Hex Meshing

Dear All,

I am new user of FEMAP. kindly please help me.

I have a model, as per figure below

1.JPG

I am about to hex mesh the geometry. I was using command of Mesh - Mesh Control - Size on Solid.

2.JPG

Then, I use the command Mesh - Geometry - Hexmesh Solid.

But, some of the part is not hex mesh at all. The result are below, 

3.JPG

Is there anyone have idea how to have a hex mesh the geometry above?

Here I attahed the model.

Regards.

3 REPLIES

Re: Hex Meshing

I recommend that you mesh the end surfaces with a good mesh quality.  In this case, I set the mesh size on the larger curves using a size of 6 and a bias of 2.  I also set the mesh approach to 3 Corner Mapped Fan.

Once you have the end surfaces meshed, you can create the hex mesh with the command, Mesh > Geometry > Hex Mesh From Elements.  You select the elements one of the surfaces as the base and the elements on the other meshed surface as the top and specify a mesh sizing between the surfaces.

Finally, you should associate the elements to the solids.

You'll also need to perform more solid splitting to match the meshes.

Meshed End Surfaces.jpgBase Elements.jpgTop Elements.jpgHex Layers.jpgMeshed.jpg

Best Regards,
Chip Fricke
Principal Applications Engineer - Femap Product Development

Hi Chip Fricke

thanks for your answer.

If you are not mind, I still have a question.

I was trying to create a good mesh on the end of the surface, but I didnt make it.

Could you please explain me how to set the mesh size of 6 and bias of 2? and also using 3 corner mapped fan?

what command you have used? kindly please explain.

Thanks.

Hello!,

As a complement of the Chip suggestion, in hex mesh regions that do not have straight lines that connect the top and bottom regions you can consider the following command: MESH > GEOMETRY > HEX MESH FROM ELEMENTS:

1.- SLICE the solid this way using command GEOMETRY > SOLID > SLICE:

HEX-MESH-GEO.png

2.- Next map mesh all the external surfaces that enclose the solid volume using a 2-D PLOT ONLY QUAD mesh, I used an element size around =10

HEX-MESH-GEO2.png

3.- Next use command Mesh, Geometry, HexMesh from Elements... you will first select the 2-D PLOT ONLY elements that form the mapped base region (use METHOD>ON SURFACE), in this case I used the bottom inner surface. Then you will be prompted to select ALL of the rest 2-D PLOT ONLY elements that form ALL the remainder of the enclosing volume.

HEX-MESH-GEO3.png

Best regards,
Blas.

Blas Molero Hidalgo, Ingeniero Industrial, Director
IBERISA • 48004 BILBAO (SPAIN)
WEB: http://www.iberisa.com
Blog Femap-NX Nastran: http://iberisa.wordpress.com/