Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to apply a stress factor to only a certain group of elements?

Experimenter
Experimenter

I need to apply different stress concentration factors to different regions of a structure - these factors are calculated based upon principal stresses. I have hundreds of load cases, so doing this manually by exporting stress vectors to excel or similar is simply unfeasible. 

Is there a way to do this via the FEMAP menus? Or will I have to write an API program to do this? 

10 REPLIES

Re: Is there a way to apply a stress factor to only a certain group of elements?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

An API is definitely the way to go, what does the equation look like?

Mark.

Re: Is there a way to apply a stress factor to only a certain group of elements?

Experimenter
Experimenter

There are 6 different stress concentration factors to be applied to the maximum elemental stresses. Here is one example: 

Kt = 1.2*S1 - 0.4*S3

where S1 and S3 are the first and third principal stresses. They are simple equations, and once I have each element's principal stresses in hand it's easy enough to compute. The difficulty lies in 1) applying different equations to different sets of elements and 2) automating the process. As mentioned I have hundreds of load cases for each analysis. Also worth noting is that the final product needs to be in the form of nodal stresses (easily exported once the stress concentration factors have been applied to the elemental stresses).

I have virtually no experience with Visual Basic, but reading over the API manual perhaps I can experiment. Are there some particular methods you would suggest I take a look at? 

Siemens Phenom

What type of elements are in your model?  Beams?  Plates?  Solids?

Mark.

Experimenter
Experimenter
100% plates.

Siemens Phenom

The following API should be a good starting point.  It asks you to choose elements, it removes anything that is not a plate.  It then prompts you for K1, and K2 and uses these in your equation.  It also asks you for which output sets you want to process.  It uses the equation at the centroid, and the corners of the plates selected and creates new output vectors 9,000,000 and 9,000,001 plus the associated corner data.  

You can certainly add some logic to change the equation based on property type, location, or just about anything.  The Output Vector IDs are hard coded, if you run it again, they will be overwritten, this could also be modified.  I hope it helps.

Mark.

The HTML Clipboard

Sub Main
    Dim App As femap.model
    Set App = feFemap()

Dim plateSet As femap.Set
    Set plateSet = App.feSet

Dim selSet As femap.Set
    Set selSet = App.feSet

Dim workSet As femap.Set
    Set workSet = App.feSet

Dim outSets As femap.Set
    Set outSets = App.feSet

Dim allOutSets As femap.Set
    Set allOutSets = App.feSet

allOutSets.AddAll( FT_OUT_CASE )

Dim k1 As Double
    Dim k2 As Double

Dim resultsTop As femap.Results
    Set resultsTop = App.feResults

Dim resultsBottom As femap.Results
    Set resultsBottom = App.feResults

Dim outSetID As Long
    Dim topMaxPrinCol As Long
    Dim topMinPrinCol As Long
    Dim nColumnsAdded As Long
    Dim colIDs As Variant

Dim elIDs As Variant
    Dim topMaxPrinCenter As Variant
    Dim topMaxPrinC1 As Variant
    Dim topMaxPrinC2 As Variant
    Dim topMaxPrinC3 As Variant
    Dim topMaxMinC4 As Variant

Dim topMinPrinCenter As Variant
    Dim topMinPrinC1 As Variant
    Dim topMinPrinC2 As Variant
    Dim topMinPrinC3 As Variant
    Dim topMinMinC4 As Variant
    Dim botMinPrinCenter As Variant
    Dim botMinPrinC1 As Variant
    Dim botMinPrinC2 As Variant
    Dim botMinPrinC3 As Variant
    Dim botMinMinC4 As Variant

Dim topSICenter() As Double
    Dim topSIC1() As Double
    Dim topSIC2() As Double
    Dim topSIC3() As Double
    Dim topSIC4() As Double
    Dim topSIC5() As Double
    Dim topSIC6() As Double
    Dim topSIC7() As Double
    Dim topSIC8() As Double
    Dim botSICenter() As Double
    Dim botSIC1() As Double
    Dim botSIC2() As Double
    Dim botSIC3() As Double
    Dim botSIC4() As Double
    Dim botSIC5() As Double
    Dim botSIC6() As Double
    Dim botSIC7() As Double
    Dim botSIC8() As Double

Dim Dummy As Variant

Dim ouVec As femap.Output

Dim nElems As Long

plateSet.AddRule( femap.FET_L_PLATE, FGD_ELEM_BYTYPE )

If selSet.Select( FT_ELEM, True, "Pick Elements to Process" ) = FE_OK Then
        workSet.AddCommon( plateSet.ID, selSet.ID )
        If workSet.Count > 0 Then
            If App.feGetReal( "Factor K1", 0.00001, 10.0, k1 ) = FE_OK Then
                If App.feGetReal("Factor K2", 0.00001, 10.0, k2 ) = FE_OK Then
                    If outSets.SelectMultiID( FT_OUT_CASE, allOutSets.ID, "Select Output Sets To Process") = FE_OK Then
                        outSetID = outSets.First()
                        While outSetID > 0
                            resultsTop.Clear
                            resultsBottom.Clear
                            resultsTop.DataNeeded( FT_ELEM, workSet.ID )
                            resultsBottom.DataNeeded(FT_ELEM,workSet.ID)
                            resultsTop.AddColumn( outSetID, 7026, True, nColumnsAdded, colIDs )
                            If nColumnsAdded = 5 Then
                                topMaxPrinCol = colIDs(0)
                            End If
                            resultsTop.AddColumn( outSetID, 7027, True, nColumnsAdded, colIDs )
                                topMinPrinCol = colIDs(0)
                            End If
                            resultsBottom.AddColumn( outSetID, 7426, True, nColumnsAdded, colIDs )
                                botMaxPrinCol = colIDs(0)
                            End If
                            resultsBottom.AddColumn( outSetID, 7427, True, nColumnsAdded, colIDs )
                                botMinPrinCol = colIDs(0)
                            End If
                            resultsTop.Populate()
                            resultsBottom.Populate()
                            resultsTop.GetColumn( topMaxPrinCol, elIDs, topMaxPrinCenter )
                            resultsTop.GetColumn( topMaxPrinCol+1, elIDs, topMaxPrinC1 )
                            resultsTop.GetColumn( topMaxPrinCol+2, elIDs, topMaxPrinC2 )
                            resultsTop.GetColumn( topMaxPrinCol+3, elIDs, topMaxPrinC3 )
                            resultsTop.GetColumn( topMaxPrinCol+4, elIDs, topMaxPrinC4 )
                            resultsTop.GetColumn( topMinPrinCol, elIDs, topMinPrinCenter )
                            resultsTop.GetColumn( topMinPrinCol+1, elIDs, topMinPrinC1 )
                            resultsTop.GetColumn( topMinPrinCol+2, elIDs, topMinPrinC2 )
                            resultsTop.GetColumn( topMinPrinCol+3, elIDs, topMinPrinC3 )
                            resultsTop.GetColumn( topMinPrinCol+4, elIDs, topMinPrinC4 )

resultsBottom.GetColumn( botMaxPrinCol, elIDs, botMaxPrinCenter )
                            resultsBottom.GetColumn( botMaxPrinCol+1, elIDs, botMaxPrinC1 )
                            resultsBottom.GetColumn( botMaxPrinCol+2, elIDs, botMaxPrinC2 )
                            resultsBottom.GetColumn( botMaxPrinCol+3, elIDs, botMaxPrinC3 )
                            resultsBottom.GetColumn( botMaxPrinCol+4, elIDs, botMaxPrinC4 )
                            resultsBottom.GetColumn( botMinPrinCol, elIDs, botMinPrinCenter )
                            resultsBottom.GetColumn( botMinPrinCol+1, elIDs, botMinPrinC1 )
                            resultsBottom.GetColumn( botMinPrinCol+2, elIDs, botMinPrinC2 )
                            resultsBottom.GetColumn( botMinPrinCol+3, elIDs, botMinPrinC3 )
                            resultsBottom.GetColumn( botMinPrinCol+4, elIDs, botMinPrinC4 )

nElems = resultsTop.NumberOfRows
                            ReDim topSICenter(nElems) As Double
                            ReDim topSIC1(nElems) As Double
                            ReDim topSIC2(nElems) As Double
                            ReDim topSIC3(nElems) As Double
                            ReDim topSIC4(nElems) As Double
                            ReDim topSIC5(nElems) As Double
                            ReDim topSIC6(nElems) As Double
                            ReDim topSIC7(nElems) As Double
                            ReDim topSIC8(nElems) As Double
                            ReDim botSICenter(nElems) As Double
                            ReDim botSIC1(nElems) As Double
                            ReDim botSIC2(nElems) As Double
                            ReDim botSIC3(nElems) As Double
                            ReDim botSIC4(nElems) As Double
                            ReDim botSIC5(nElems) As Double
                            ReDim botSIC6(nElems) As Double
                            ReDim botSIC7(nElems) As Double
                            ReDim botSIC8(nElems) As Double

For j=0 To nElems - 1
                                topSICenter(j) = k1*topMaxPrinCenter(j) - k2*topMinPrinCenter(j)
                                topSIC1(j) = k1*topMaxPrinC1(j) - k2*topMinPrinC1(j)
                                topSIC2(j) = k1*topMaxPrinC2(j) - k2*topMinPrinC2(j)
                                topSIC3(j) = k1*topMaxPrinC3(j) - k2*topMinPrinC3(j)
                                topSIC4(j) = k1*topMaxPrinC4(j) - k2*topMinPrinC4(j)
                                topSIC5(j) = 0.0
                                topSIC6(j) = 0.0
                                topSIC7(j) = 0.0
                                topSIC8(j) = 0.0
                                botSICenter(j) = k1*botMaxPrinCenter(j) - k2*botMinPrinCenter(j)
                                botSIC1(j) = k1*botMaxPrinC1(j) - k2*botMinPrinC1(j)
                                botSIC2(j) = k1*botMaxPrinC2(j) - k2*botMinPrinC2(j)
                                botSIC3(j) = k1*botMaxPrinC3(j) - k2*botMinPrinC3(j)
                                botSIC4(j) = k1*botMaxPrinC4(j) - k2*botMinPrinC4(j)
                                botSIC5(j) = 0.0
                                botSIC6(j) = 0.0
                                botSIC7(j) = 0.0
                                botSIC8(j) = 0.0
                            Next

Msg = "K1 = " + Str$(k1) + " K2 = " + Str$(k2) + " Plate Top"

Set ouVec = App.feOutput
                            rc = ouVec.InitElemWithCorner( outSetID, 9000000, 9000002, 9000003,9000004,9000005, 0, 0, 0, 0, Msg, FOT_STRESS, True )
                            rc = ouVec.PutElemWithCorner( nElems, 4, elIDs, topSICenter, topSIC1, topSIC2, topSIC3, topSIC4, 0, 0, 0, 0)
                            rc = ouVec.Put( 9000000 )

Msg = "K1 = " + Str$(k1) + " K2 = " + Str$(k2) + " Plate Bottom"

Set ouVec = App.feOutput
                            rc = ouVec.InitElemWithCorner( outSetID, 9000001, 9000006, 9000007,9000008,9000009, 0, 0, 0, 0, Msg, FOT_STRESS, True )
                            rc = ouVec.PutElemWithCorner( nElems, 4, elIDs, botSICenter, botSIC1, botSIC2, botSIC3, botSIC4, 0, 0, 0, 0)
                            rc = ouVec.Put( 9000001 )

outSetID = outSets.Next()
                        Wend
                    End If
                End If
            End If
        End If
    End If
End Sub

Experimenter
Experimenter

Wow, thanks so much!! Thank you for taking the time to put this together, it's much appreciated. 

Legend
Legend

Hello Mark,

Do you need this for this project only? Or you use these calculations quite often?

Yarko

Legend
Legend

Hello Mark,

My company has developed an extension to Femap which has advanced formula editor. I think It can help you in this project.

This product is a commercial program but I would like to suggest you a cooperation: I will assist you with formulas and arrange the trial for 30 days (and you can use our program for this project for free). And I will use the created check as an example in the article.  

The benefits are that calculation for all 6 types will be on one plot. And also it is possible to make an envelope for all your cases. (check all cases with one plot).

Let me know if have time and interested in such cooperation.

I've started already with the check. I've created custom characteristic which defines 6 different types (groups) of elements which will use different formulas for calculations. I equally divided my model into 6 groups and set them types 1-6:

SCFType.png

And the formulas look like this. For the first type, I've used your formula and for rest just numbers 2-6.:

SCF - define what formula should be used for which elements:

SCFCheck.png

Yarko

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi, thanks Yarko. Your solution looks very useful, but this is a one-time situation and the project moves too quickly for a cooperation with an outside entity. We have already moved beyond this problem by using in-house resources (IMAT with MATLAB). 

But thank you again!