Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

List elements in the order of selection

Pioneer
Pioneer

I have 2 models with more than 1000 CBUSH elements. They are exactly the same models and the only difference is CBUSH EIDs. I'm trying to list the EIDs from model 1 to equivalent elements in same position in model 2. Is there a way to list by selection order. I couldn't find it in FEMAP; I see that EIDs are always list only in ascending order. Is there any other approach that i could take solve this issue?

Thank you

8 REPLIES

Re: List elements in the order of selection

Pioneer
Pioneer

When we do list-> elements..,it asks for ID, selection order etc. However, thats only to list in msg window. I'm trying to copy the list from the Select element dialog box and paste it in excel.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Siemens Phenom

You could use the Data Table.  This could save you some steps going between programs.

1. Use the Selector 

Selector.png

2. Unlock the Data Table and make it visible.  As you choose elements, it will populate.

DataTable.png

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thank you. By taking this approach i can select only one element at a time, right? I have thousands of elements.

Siemens Phenom

You can use SHIFT, or CNTRL to use box-picking techiniques while the Selector is active.  Use "select multiple" here:

SelectMultiple.png

Alternatively, you can use the API below to use the standard selection dialog box but instead a "Sort Set" will be populated to retain the selection order.  The selection dialog box will allow you to use different methods, and picking tequines.

Sub Main
    Dim App As femap.model
    Set App = feFemap()

Dim s As SortSet
    Set s  = App.feSort

If s.Select(FT_ELEM,True,"Test") <> FE_OK Then End

'Speed up printing to messages window by capturing all messages
    App.feAppMessageStartListing()

'Print Element ID: __" in order selected
    While s.Next
        Msg = "Element ID: "+Str$(s.ID)
        App.feAppMessage(FCM_NORMAL,Msg)
    Wend
        'Must Call "EndListing" to print to messages window
    App.feAppMessageEndListing()

End Sub

Pioneer
Pioneer
Thank you. Using the box-picking technique with "Select Multiple" is not retaining the selection order. It only lists the elements in data table in ascending order. API does the same too. Am I missing something?

Siemens Phenom

If you want to use box-picking, you'll need to select different subsets at a time.  For example, you could select higher IDs that will be ordered then follow that with lower IDs that will be ordered instead of all selections being low->high.  See the examples below.

1. Selector:

Selector_.gif

2. API:

BoxAPI.png

Creator
Creator

If all you are trying to do is match up the appropriate EIDs from one model to the next, then hopefully the following method will help out. It's a hack, nothing pretty.

Go to Modify--> Renumber --> Element...

Select the CBUSH elements and click ok.

In the Renumber To menu (see below).

• Tick the Verify Renumbering checkbox.
  • Toggle the Coordinate Sort.
  • Click OK. (It won't renumber anything yet)

RenumberElements.png

The results of what it wants to renumber the elements to is listed in the message box.

Ex.

Renumber Element

4 Element(s) Selected...

Element 2054028 will be renumbered to Element 1.

Element 2327303 will be renumbered to Element 2.

Element 2034028 will be renumbered to Element 3.

Element 2327210 will be renumbered to Element 4.

Edit: Forgot, click No on "OK to Proceed with Renumbering Elements(s)?" popup.

Repeat for the other model (making sure to have the same elements and sort directions).

The returned orders should be based on the elements position. Copy the info from the Message Box and use a text editor or excel to get the EIDs from both lists and you should have them matched up.

Hopefully I didn't miss the point of the question.

Danny