Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Manually Create Output Set from Data Surface

I am analyzing a load case that applies forced displacements to simulate gap closures due to tightening of fasteners. One structure is a shell structure, and the other is made of solids. The fasteners between them are CBEAMs attached by RBE2 spiders. Here are screenshots of the joints with the shell thickness on and off, for reference.

With shell and beam thickness onWith shell and beam thickness on

With shell and beam thickness offWith shell and beam thickness offI am approaching the analysis in three steps:

1. Apply the forced displacements to the more flexible shell side of the joint and analyze it by itself.
  2. Take the resulting grid point forces and apply them to the opposite side of the joint and analyze that component by itself.
  3. Create a results set for the fastener beams from the grid point forces (I've ensured that the grid point forces are in the same coordinate system as the beam element csys).

The trouble I'm having is with Step 3. I need to be able to linearly combine the results from these three results sets with other load cases (temperature, aero, etc.), but I can't seem to figure out how to manually create an output set and vector from a data surface. Is this even possible or do I have to create an output set and vector, and then input each individual beam force?

I'm also open to a better way to analyze the problem if anyone has come across a similar situation before.

6 REPLIES

Re: Manually Create Output Set from Data Surface

Use Model -> Output -> Process..

2017-03-12_15-03-45.png

For more information see Femap Help

8.5.6  Model, Output, Process

Unfortunately, this is not what I'm looking for. I'm need to figure out a way to create the output set manually from a data table or spreadsheet so that I can then combine it linearly with other existing ones.

I have a video here that might be what you are looking for.  You can import results data from a CSV easily into FEMAP and create a new output set using File > Import > Analysis Results > Comma-Separated.

You can most likely ignore the end of the video where the output is converted into nodal loads.

(view in My Videos)

Thanks! That is much closer. The only difference between that and what I'm trying to do is to create data for a native Femap output vector (e.g. 3022..Beam EndA Axial Force) so that I can combine the results vector-for-vector with existing Nastran output. 

Can you send me an e-mail with more specifics?

ryan.catania@siemens.com

Hi Ryan, I apologize for such a latent response. I discovered a workaround that ended up being much simpler than what I wanted to do. Thank you, though!