Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Meshing a cylindrical cavity in Femap

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello every one , 

I'd like to mesh a cylindrical cavity using  quadrangle elements along  the lateral surface of the cylinder (16 or 32 for example ) and triangular elements at the inlet and the outlet .

So, please How to create this mesh and  generate a  .dat file .Thanx

Cheers,

5 REPLIES

Re: Meshing a cylindrical cavity in Femap

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi,

Could you please provide and image so we can see what you are talking about?

I couldnt understand the geometry from your post.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi,

Enclosed, you 'll find a mesh  of a  closed cylinder ( 8 quad elements on the lateral surface , 8 triangular elements at the inlet and the same number used at  the outlet ) 

Thanx

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Hello!,

First at all prescribe meshing attributes to the geometry using command "MESH > MESH CONTROL > ATTRIBUTES TO SURFACE". This command is critical as allows you to prescribe not only the type of 2-D element (TRIANGLE or QUAD) but also assign the property (Shell thickness) + material to the geometry.

mesh-attributes-on-surface.png

Repeat command, one for the lateral surfaces and another time for the inlet/outlet surfaces.

Also, avoid to use TRIANGULAR elements at all, QUAD is immensely better (both mesh quality & accuracy on results), simply activate flag "QUAD EDGE LAYERS = 2" and FEMAP will use two layers of QUAD elements in the boundary:

quad-meshing.png

Best regards,

Blas.

Blas Molero Hidalgo, Ingeniero Industrial, Director
IBERISA • 48004 BILBAO (SPAIN)
WEB: http://www.iberisa.com
Blog Femap-NX Nastran: http://iberisa.wordpress.com/

Experimenter
Experimenter

thank you Blas Molero ,

Sorry for this late answer.

I programmed all the mesh in matlab. Nontheless, I tried to do it on  Femap.

Actually, Im not familiar to it. I used the following steps :

1/ create a new geometry (cylinder)

2/create a new material and property ( plate property)

3/ MESH > MESH CONTROL > ATTRIBUTES On SURFACE (selected parts)

No mesh being made. Do I miss any step ?

Thank's a lot

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Dear Besteg,

Another interesting meshing technique of the command "MESH > MESH CONTROL > ATTRIBUTES ON SURFACE" is to activate the MAP SUBDIVISIONS instead the QUAD-EDGE LAYERS, as in general improves the mesh:

map-subdivisions.png

Next step is to prescribe the ELEMENT SIZE in the geometry using command "MESH > MESH CONTROL > SIZE ON SURFACE > SELECT ALL". The "trick" here is to press keys "Ctrl" + "M" simultaneously in the field "Element Size", this will ask you to select any CURVE of the model and the command will compute its length and the value will be written in the box Element Size. Then if you want to have the curve, for instance, divided in 14 divisions, simply divide the above value by "/14" and FEMAP will perform the mathematical operation:

size-on-surfaces.png

Next Step is to MESH effectively the geometry using command "MESH > GEOMETRY > SURFACE> Select All":

mesh-surface.png

And as a result the following mesh will appear in the screen:

quad-meshing-using-map-subdivission.png

If for any reason the meshing failed, take a look to the MESSAGE WINDOW for any error. If not any error exist but the mesh do not appear in the screen, simply make sure the meshing elements are visible pressing keys "Ctrl" + "Q" simultaneously and then click in "ALL ON", this is main visibility command of FEMAP:

ctrl-Q.png

Also, as the last resort, in FEMAP you can click the button "RESET ALL VISIBILITY OPTIONS", this will make ALL visible, not matter if located in hidden layers, etc..

RESET-VISIBILITY.png

Best regards,
Blas.

Blas Molero Hidalgo, Ingeniero Industrial, Director
IBERISA • 48004 BILBAO (SPAIN)
WEB: http://www.iberisa.com
Blog Femap-NX Nastran: http://iberisa.wordpress.com/