Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Meshing curved plates / conical sections

Creator
Creator

Hi guys,

I am struggling with the following meshing problem. I am trying to mesh a straigth section of a tube to a conical section of tube. However I cannot get the mesh to connect properly. 

The model was made using the geometry-surface-cilinder function for the conical section and extruded the straight sections. 

To mesh the model I used the following steps:

- Assigned a plate property to the surfaces (mesh control - attributes on surfaces)

- Set the mesh size on all curves (mesh control - size along curve)

- Meshed all surfaces (mesh - geometry - surface)

Does anyone have a solution for this meshing problem?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Marcel

2 REPLIES

Re: Meshing curved plates / conical sections

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Dear Marcel,

This problem is very easy to mesh, your mesh is not coincident because you have two curves, one belonging to each surface: the key is to have only ONE sheet body, not isolated surfaces. You can use use two methods: either create a NonManifold-Add sheet body, or stitch surfaces. My preferred method is always stitching surfaces, the benefits are multiple: the command will do the job of properly have a consistent normal of all surfaces, all surfaces will have the same normal. But NonManifol-Add command simply add all surfaces as they are, not checking normals, then when later you mesh surfaces with shell elements you could have a problem of lack of consistency in shell normals that could cause problems when plotting stress results in TOP/BOTTOM faces, or when applying a pressure load.

In summary, you can do the following:

• Use command GEOMETRY > SOLID > STITCH. The only inputs required for this command are the surfaces themselves, a stitching tolerance, and whether “mergeable curves” should be cleaned up. The tolerance can be adjusted to facility the closing of gaps between surface edges (the default value is 1e-6, but I suggest to use 1e-4, it depends of the model size). This is a very useful command when reading trimmed surfaces from an IGES file. You can read an IGES file, and then use this command to generate a Parasolid solid from the IGES surfaces. You can then manipulate this solid just like any other solid you would have created in FEMAP
  • The limitation of STITCH command is T-like joints, Parasolid can`t stitch them, then the only method is to use command GEOMETRY > SURFACE > NONMANIFOLD-ADD, but make sure all surfaces have consistent normals, OK?.

Best regards,

Blas.

Blas Molero Hidalgo, Ingeniero Industrial, Director
IBERISA • 48004 BILBAO (SPAIN)
WEB: http://www.iberisa.com
Blog Femap-NX Nastran: http://iberisa.wordpress.com/

Re: Meshing curved plates / conical sections

Creator
Creator

Dear Blas,

Thank you for your reply! Stitching worked greatSmiley Happy

Regards,