Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft Application Virtualization 5 (App-V)

Creator
Creator

Anyone experience with installing Femap (V11.3.1) under Microsoft Application Virtualization 5 (App-V) ?

It is being used in our company, and works fine, so far.

However, recently I’m having problems with Excel VBA code, doing actions in Femap, that might be caused by the Femap install under App-V.

In former installations, Femap was installed at local HD. I have some VBA Macros in Excel that perform actions in Femap. To make it work, of course the Reference to the .TLB file in the installation Folder: “C:\Femap…\Femap.tlb” has been made.

If I don’t make the proper reference, the following simple Test Tool holds at the first line: ‘Dim app As femap.model’, with the message: ‘Compile error: User-defined type not defined’.

So, with App-V, the reference is now modified to the proper “virtual” location. But then I get the VBA Run-time error ‘429’: “ActiveX component can’t create object”, and it holds at the line ‘app = GetObject(, "femap.model")’.

Because it now holds at a line further in the code, it seems to me that the reference to the . TLB file should be working properly. But apparently it won’t connect to the Femap model that is running.

( I just tested it again on a PC with a local installation of Femap V11.3.1, and the tool worked fine there. )

The Test Tool has the following code:

---------------------------------

Sub MyFemapApp()

Dim app As femap.model

Set app = GetObject(, "femap.model")

Dim rc As zReturnCode

rc = app.feAppMessage(FCM_COMMAND, "Test")

End Sub

---------------------------------

So my question is, does anyone have experience with App-V and possible problems with Femap API / Excel VBA, or any knowledge what to do with “VBA Run-time error ‘429’: ActiveX component can’t create object” ?

Regards,

Chris

2 REPLIES

Re: Microsoft Application Virtualization 5 (App-V)

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

If you're seeing that error, what it generally means is that the COM server wasn't registerd properly. You could technically still import the type library and have VB be aware of the femap namespace, but unless Windows knows where to direct the calls, you'll see errors like that.

If you start FEMAP on the App-V VM, is there any information listed to the message window regarding COM registration?

Re: Microsoft Application Virtualization 5 (App-V)

Creator
Creator

Thanks, I can understand the error message then.

I'm not sure about your (last) question, but in the Femap message window at my machine is shown after launching:

Loading Parasolid Geometry Engine...

Femap with NX Nastran Version 11.3.1

Copyright © 2016 Siemens Product Lifecycle Management Software Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Full OpenGL Hardware Acceleration (Double Buffered)

Your card supports OpenGL 4.5

So nothing regarding COM registration.

Should it mention something like that ?

Should the following probably help, as listed under Femap Help-About:

API Basic: This product uses WinWrap® Basic
API Basic: Copyright 1993-2010 Polar Engineering and Consulting
API Basic: http://www.winwrap.com

Processor:  Architecture=9.6, Revision=2a07, Number=4
Operating System:  Windows 7 SP1

Video:  RDPDD Chained DD
Video Driver:  C:\Windows\system32\RDPDD.dll
Video Type: 
Video Version: 
Video Resolution:  1920 x 1200

OpenGL Vendor:  NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL Renderer:  Quadro 600/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL Version:  4.5.0 NVIDIA 368.39
OpenGL Status: 32 Bit Color, 24 Bit Depth

Physical Memory:  Total=32726 MBytes, Available=27191 MBytes
All Memory:  Total=56724 MBytes, Available=50667 MBytes

Initialization File: C:\FEMAPv1131\FEMAP.INI

PATH=C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Application Virtualization Client;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\

Scratch Filename:  C:\scratch\MODF703.tmp
Scratch Filesize:  32768 Bytes
Cache Size:  Pages=3, BlocksPerPage=4, Max Pages=416651
Windows TEMP Directory:  C:\Users\CRVANO~1\AppData\Local\Temp\
Licensing Method:  dongle