cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modeling a composite sandwich plate

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi There , 

I'm a newbie to Femap , since i've been in a project that depends on making sandwich composites and analyzing them , i've heared that Femap is one of the best for doing this job but the problem is i just have a plate of (0.5x0.5 m^2) of Foam core sandwich material and Carbon Epoxy Facesheets . I want to model the material to be analyzed , i've tried to make solid laminate element but always the result seems to have a problem , so does any one have thoughts for applying the right element type for the plate material and how ? , 

Thanks in Advance

3 REPLIES

Re: Modeling a composite sandwich plate

Phenom
Phenom
If you are a newbie to Femap, then the best way to get help is to be quite specific about what the problem is... eg. Red error message in Femap (quote the text); fatal error in Nastran (quote the text); results that have been created but seem wrong (do you know about [consistent] units in Femap?); results have been created, but not you're not sure how to find what you want; etc?
Personally, I would use surface elements with layup and laminate properties... but I only have intermediate laminate expertise.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

If you can use a shell element instead of a solid, use the API script under the Custom Tools > Honeycomb PSHELL > HoneyComb PShell Property command.  This will prompt you for the data needed to create a PSHELL property using the NASA FEMCI guidelines.

See Section 9 of the api\CustomTools.pdf file.

2016-03-30_16-45-04.jpg

Best Regards,
Chip Fricke
Principal Applications Engineer - Femap Product Development

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi Chip,

I hope its OK to resurrect this thread. I have a follow up question about the NASA FEMCI Honeycomb PSHELL API. Can this API be used for composite honeycomb laminates as well? If I have a face sheet lay up of (0/+45/-45/90) with a total facesheet thickness of 0.0216", how do I "represent" the facesheet material which captures the layup? I guess one option would be to create a PCOMP of the above lay up and use Femap's laminate property calculator to figure out laminate's engineering properties i.e. Ex, Ey etc and create a new isotropic material (MAT1) entry and refer it to the API. But if Ex & Ey are different, which one to choose for MAT1 entry? I guess, I would go with the higher one since the stiffer the material, greater load it attracts and thus may be more realistic representation of the facesheet/laminate?