Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving nodes radially

Genius
Genius

Hello,

I want to move the inner ring of nodes out radially. I have a cylinderical coordinate system, but when I try using it's X-axis as the moving direction, it is not radial, it just shifts all the nodes upward.

ddd.png

Thanks.

4 REPLIES

Re: Moving nodes radially

Legend
Legend

there is an option move radial node. choose then no to say cylindrical and then vector axis the axial axis. I think these were the steps

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Do you update the nodes in this coordinate (cylindrical) system?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Modify - Move By - Radial Node - this command will let you move nodes radially (towards/away from a vector) or spherically (towards/away from a point).

I have seen in the past when users try Modify - Move By - Node, and select a vector in a cylindrical system, they expect the vector to be radial, howeve our design intent is that Modify - Move By - Node moves along a vector, a single vector, and even though you picked the two ends in a cylindrical system, it is still just a vector in one direction, that's why we added the Radial Node command.

Since you do have a Cylindrical Coordinate System for these nodes, you can also use Modify - Move To - Node, select the nodes, pick your coordinate system, turn of theta and z, and just update the radial values of these nodes.

Mark.

Genius
Genius

Your last paragraph is what I ended up doing, but it is good to know that there are other (possibly better) ways to do this. Thank you!