Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NVIDIA GTX 1070

Creator
Creator

I know that the above referenced card supports OpenGL 4.5, but I would like input from FEMAP tech support pertaining to the use of this cost effective card for large models.  Does anyone have experience with this given this GTX card is using the latest technology from NVIDIA?

Cordially,

Gerry J. Dail, PE

MCB Engineering Consulting, LLC

2 REPLIES

Re: NVIDIA GTX 1070

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

None of the NVIDIA GeForce cards are officially supported, only the Quadro cards are. Often, we may find a bug in a vendor's implementation of the OGL spec that causes issues in our rendering. With the Quadro drivers, NVIDIA works with us to fix the bug, however because the GeForce cards aren't considered by NVIDIA to be enterprise class cards (they're considered as gaming class cards), we don't get the same level of support from the manufacturer and therefore can't support them. Same goes for AMD with their FirePro/Radeon line.

That's not to say that it won't work though - some users do use GeForce cards with no issues; we just can't guarantee compatibility. My only suggestion is if you do try it, make sure you have the latest and greatest driver. That and buy from some place with a good return policy.

Re: NVIDIA GTX 1070

Creator
Creator

I appreciate the feedback and understand the risk.  The supplier of the system I am purchasing has an outstanding return policy, so I think I am set.  And of course if there is a future need for replacing the video card, I can always do that.  Just did not want to make the substitution at this point given the fact that the GTX card was supplied as part of the base system.

Cordially,

Gerry J. Dail, PE

MCB Engineering Consulting, LLC