Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nonlinear Static Test Sol 106 - Results Doubt

Builder
Builder

Hello everyone,

I have run nonlinear static sol 106 test on the porous material (STL File). I have defined aluminum property to my geometry. For nonlinearity (elastic plastic model), I choose von misses yield criteria with an initial yield stress of 16 Mpa.

Symmetrical boundary condition applied to one side of the model due to cutting model and uniformly distributed of load 5 N applied on the upper part of the model. Full Newton Raphson methods were applied for investigation.

Fortunately, Model successfully finished. However, in the results, I am getting maximum of 0.0126 nonlinear solid von misses stresses.

I think it should be 16(maximum). Could somebody please tell me is I am correct or wrong?

Many thanks in advance for sparing time and considerations.

8 REPLIES

Re: Nonlinear Static Test Sol 106 - Results Doubt

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Have you inspected the f06 file to see if the solution converged all the way to the maximum load? The f06 file contains all of the warning and error messages and also the iteration summary output which is critical to understanding if your solution actually converged at all load levels.

Regards,

Joe

Builder
Builder

Hi FemBrackin,

Thanks for the reply.

Well based in the F06 file, its says all values converged. 

I also run the model twice, however still the problem is same.

Solution Partner Pioneer Solution Partner Pioneer
Solution Partner Pioneer

Hi Varun,

What are your problem's dimension?

Builder
Builder

Hi Jacque,

I have the experimental data from compression test.

Which includes

Time ( s)       /       Extension(mm)   /   Load(kN)         / Compression Strain(%) /   Compression Stress(M Pa)

Here are the steps which I followed

1. Import the geometry as a STL File
  2. After that, Mesh – solid from element – aluminum property defined
  3. In nonlinearlity, I choose elastic – plastic model with an intial yield stress of 16 MPa
  4. In load I selected around 500 Node on the upper side of model for force exertion. So what I did is divide the 1 N /500 Node = total load in y directions. While in Functions I choose load vs time graph achieved from experiments.
  5. In B.C, I fixed the bottom part.
  6. SOL 601 analysis run according to settings mentioned in the NX Nastran (Large DEFORMATION SOL 601).
  7. Model finished successfully. 

PROBLEM OR DOUBT - I am getting 0.0543 M Pa nonlinear solid von misese stress.

Could you please tell me is it correct or not if not where I am doing mistakes?

as I already checked f06 file which says all value converges

Solution Partner Pioneer Solution Partner Pioneer
Solution Partner Pioneer

Varun,

What is the surface area upon which you apply your 1N load? (undeformed and deformed)

Builder
Builder

Hi Jacques,

I don't know the surface area, attached you can see the picture of model where I have applied the load.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

In your subject topic, you refer to sol 106 while you describe setup using sol 601. They are different solutions and the loading is set up differently. Sol 106 does not use a "load vs time" function. It is possible you are not applying the loads that you intended. Please clarify what solution you are running. 

Posting the model might help you get more appropriate advice.

Regards,

Joe

Builder
Builder

well in the beginning, I run SOL 106 test. But in my case strain is  more than 10 % so  I run SOL 601 test. Just to see if there is any change in results. Unfortunately not getting correct results.

I am using the experimental data acheived from load vs time graph .