cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phantom curves or surfaces

Genius
Genius

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has had luck getting rid of phantom curves, which are sometimes left behind when surfaces are deleted. They are really problematic because they graft onto any adjacent surfaces when a nonmanifol add is executed, even though there is no surface left within them. They are not deletable and I don't know why. Probably because FEMAP lost track of the surfaces they used to represent, which are now gone, either through some sort of corruption without warning, or because they were simply deleted.

How can I get rid of them? I've tried rebuilding the database with no effect.

Unbenannt.png

4 REPLIES

Re: Phantom curves or surfaces

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Dear Kava,

Not phantom curves at all, they belongs to surfaces or solids. The reason why you get them is because you have performed any geometry manipulation on a solid or surface (for instance, GEOMETRY > SOLID > CLEANUP) that belongs to other layer than the active layer, then the resulting NEW generated geometry goes to the active layer, not to the visible one.

How to repeat: If you have a SOLID#1 in LAYER#1, and you create LAYER#2 (that became active) and next you perform any geometry manipulation like GEOMETRY > SOLID > SLICE or simple GEOMETRY > SOLID > CLEANUP in SOLID#1 then most of the curves will go to LAYER#2, the active layer, not matter visible or hidden.

The remedy: use command MODIFY > LAYER > SOLID and move the SOLID#1 to LAYER#1, then all entities that belongs to SOLID#1 like surface, curves & points will move to LAYER#1 as well.

This is a common error of new FEMAP users, don't worry, simply put attention to which LAYER is active (to activate, double click on it) and make sure to activate the correct layer before manipulating geometry, OK?.

Best regards,

Blas.

Blas Molero Hidalgo, Ingeniero Industrial, Director
IBERISA • 48004 BILBAO (SPAIN)
WEB: http://www.iberisa.com
Blog Femap-NX Nastran: http://iberisa.wordpress.com/

Genius
Genius

Thanks Blas,

Unfortunately that is not the case. I have deleted all layers (only standard and construction), rebuilt the database and selected all curves for deletion. They still remain.

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Dear Kava,

Deleting layers is not the solution, the curve geometry remains associated to old layers, you need to move ALL solids to LAYER#1 using MODIFY > LAYER > SOLID > Method=ALL, and to make sure all is done correctly repeat the command to bottom hierarchy geometry entities:

• MODIFY > LAYER > SURFACE > Method=ALL to 1..Default Layer
  • MODIFY > LAYER > CURVE > Method=ALL to 1..Default Layer
  • MODIFY > LAYER > POINT > Method=ALL to 1..Default Layer

If you delete in FEMAP a "not empty" LAYER you will see after doing FILE > REBUILD that the LAYER appear again as "Untitled" in the MODEL INFO tree. A method to know what entities reside on a layer is the following:

• Create a group with the entities on that layer using the following command: GROUP > OPERATIONS > GENERATE ENTITIES ON LAYER
  • Select the layer in question and generate the new group.
  • Next list the group to verify the entities ..

Or post your FEMAP model to realize what is happening exactly, without the model in hand sometimes is difficult to figure out the problem, each user is a world!!.

Best regards,
Blas.

Blas Molero Hidalgo, Ingeniero Industrial, Director
IBERISA • 48004 BILBAO (SPAIN)
WEB: http://www.iberisa.com
Blog Femap-NX Nastran: http://iberisa.wordpress.com/

Genius
Genius

Thank you Blas, a complex topic but I believe you have described the problem correctly.

Originally this came about when I deleted some faces and the curves remained. Fiddling with the layers seemed to "free up" some dependency and eventually allowed me to delete the remaining curves, as they then became curve solids which I could select in the model tree and delete.

I believe I had to explode the solid (nonmanifold add) to get those curves into their own deletable curve solids before I could delete them.