cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Putting a moment load curve on a imported .stp solid

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hey everyone,

I'm new to FEMAP and trying some stuff out to get myself more familiar with the application. I've made some other models but came across a problem where I don't really know what I'm doing wrong. 

foto1.PNG

I've imported a very simple .stp solid from Autodesk Inventor and assigned all the relevant information like material, property, constraints etc (basically followed the Femap basics video from this forum). Created mesh with the Mesh>geometry>solid>automesh. There is a fixed constrain on the outside curve and a moment load on the inside curve. The 50E3Nmm moment direction is the positive z-axis so the force of the moment should be along the smallest inside curve anti clockwise.

foto1.1.PNG

However, when I run the analysis is get a zero stress result.foto2.PNG
I've made a 2D model in FEMAP itself. Making a simple sketch and giving it a 6mm plate property. Everything else is the same as the previous .stp model. So the applied forces and constrains are the same as

with the solid only in a more 2D environment.

foto3.PNG

When I run the anaysis I see the deformation that I would expect would happen with the solid model.

foto4.PNG

What am I doing wrong that I get a zero stress result with the solid model? I followed the FEMAP basics video in the pinned thread step by step and still the result is strange. Did I miss some kind of checkbox or something?   

1 REPLY

Re: Putting a moment load curve on a imported .stp solid

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

For the solid, you should have applied the load as a Torque load.  The surface was created by generated a mid-surface of the original solid and translating it, instead of your method of building a boundary surface from the curves.   You could have also just copied the top or bottom surface of the original solid.  In addition, since this is planar model, I applied Permanent Constraints to the nodes on the solid mesh in the TZ direction and to the surface mesh, permanent constraints in the TZ, RX and RY directions.

Note that I also used a Cylindrical Coordinate System for the surface mesh, and applied the load as force on the curves in the TY direction so that the total moment was 1000 kN-mm around the inner ring.

I've built a simple model similar to yours and applied a total torque of 1000 kN to the inside of the rings and got similar stress results for both the solid mesh and the plane strain element mesh.  The model is attached.

2017-02-08_9-11-52.jpg

Best Regards,
Chip Fricke
Principal Applications Engineer - Femap Product Development