Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query/List/Label Nodal Stresses

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello,

I prefer to use nodal stress as my index for margin of safety calculation. Femap does give the option to plot contours with nodal stress, and if you look at an element you can see the nodal stress of it's nodes.  However, I cannot find a way to list nodal stresses, or turn on a label to show nodal stress for the displayed nodes.  Does this functionality exist? 

Also, a nice funciton would be to create a leader (arrow) to a node that creates a label of the chosen nodal stress component and be able to place it on the screen, so that the location of a noted stress can be identified, and will show up in a screen capture.

Thank you,

Ryan Bolin

LASP, University of Colorado, Boulder

5 REPLIES

Re: Query/List/Label Nodal Stresses

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Ryan,

The best way to list nodal stresses at corners is via the Data Table:

• Open and unlock the Data Table.
  • Select the command, List > Output > Results to Data Table.
  • Accept the default settings in the Send Results to Data Table dialog box.
  • In the Results to Add to Data Table dialog box, select the Output Set(s) and the Output Vectors you want to display, then, click the Add Component / Corner Results button.  This will display and automatically select the corner results for the Output Vector(s) selected. Click OK to continue.

2017-09-11_18-21-26.jpg

• Select the elements(s) that you want to display the results for.  The Data Table will display the results with the corner stresses selected.

2017-09-11_18-28-22.jpg

To display the results as text (video attached).

• Display a Contour plot using the Output Vector you want to display corner results for.
  • Turn on Tooltips by right-clicking in the Graphics pane and select Show Tooltips from the popup video.
  • Either select the command, List > Model > Element or use the Select toolbar and set the entity type to element.   The video shows using the Select toolbar.
  • Select the element you want to create a text box with results for.
  • In the popup display of the element results, right-click and select Convert to Text.  You can edit the position and add a pointer to the element using the Modify > Edit > Text command.

(view in My Videos)

Best Regards,
Chip Fricke
Principal Applications Engineer - Femap Product Development

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi Chip,

Thanks for the solution.  My desire would be to select a node and be able to have the averaged nodal stress listed.  That would be a lot simpler than having to figure out which corner of the element I'm interested in seeing results from, especially if I'm interested in nodal stress at several differnet nodes.  Is there any way to do this?

Thanks,

Ryan Bolin

Siemens Phenom

You were almost there when you said that there is a way to show a nodal stress contour.... if you use the Contour Options to make sure that the contour is showing averaged nodal values, then all you have to do is go to List->Output->Contoured Results to Data Table and it will show you all the nodal values used in that contour display.

Siemens Phenom

There isn't a way to directly get your text with leaders into the display, but you can use the method that Chip described to create text from a tooltip on the nodal contour. The only difference would be that where he told you to choose elements, you would want to choose nodes instead, then convert the nodal tooltip to text as he described.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thank you all for your responses, they are very helpful!

Ryan