Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading Native Solidworks Files into FEMAP V11.2

Creator
Creator
I am attempting to import native SOLIDWORKS .sldasm or .sldprt files into FEMAP V11.2. No luck. No errors are reported, but even though FEMAP acts on the command to import, nothing becomes available in the geometry. FEMAP help files says that FEMAP has the ability to import these files and that they will come in as parasolids since this is the engine used by SOLIDWORKS. Can anyone tell me what I am doing incorrectly? Regards, Gerry
6 REPLIES

Re: Reading Native Solidworks Files into FEMAP V11.2

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Dear GJD,

According the FEMAP V11.2.1 HELP the SW2015 native files are supported for import, then if you have problems I suggest to post here your SW files to let the FEMAP developers to investigate the problem and let then to fix the software immediately, they are very responsive & efficient!!..

femap_geometry_interfaces.png

Meanwhile, as a workaround, if you want to import with success for sure your SW files simply export your geometry from SW using PARASOLID V28.0 (*.X_T) and you will be able to import the geometry in FEMAP with success. I always recommend this method, is more reliable & practical than using native format.

Why Parasolid?. Because both FEMAP & SW use the same geometric kernel engine of Parasolid, and second because when you import the Parasolid files you get a few additional options that are not available using the native formats (neither for SW or SolidEdge as well):

• Using Parasolid import you can select the LAYER where to insert the geometry.
  • Also you can set OFF to use incremental color (I hate a lot this feature ON when importing native files, and not possible to deactivate).
  • And also you update the geometry in the FEMAP model if the body exist previously.

import-geometry-options.png

Best regards,

Blas.

Blas Molero Hidalgo, Ingeniero Industrial, Director
IBERISA • 48004 BILBAO (SPAIN)
WEB: http://www.iberisa.com
Blog Femap-NX Nastran: http://iberisa.wordpress.com/

Creator
Creator

Blas, I have already turned in the files in question to FEMAP tech support. They are working on them. Not sure why none of these files will read in, but they do not and FEMAP tech support could not read them in either. My client sent these to me in SOLIDWORKS format so I have been trying to get them imported to FEMAP so I can export them as ACIS which is the engine SPACECLAIM uses and this is my main CAD package. So, the client can send them to me in PARASOLIDS, but I would rather not hassle him to do so given what FEMAP is supposed to be able to do. Thanks! Gerry

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Dear Gerry,

This is a translator problem, please note in general this is a complex thing because two softwares are involved, FEMAP & SW, and then the version used in each software is critical.

I strongly suggest to use Parasolid when dealing with NX Unigraphics, SolidEdge or SolidWorks CAD packages not only because the Parasolid kernel is common (the same with ACIS packages like Inventor using *.sat files), but also to avoid problems of "missing part files" when sharing assemblies!!. This is typical problem, people thinks that sending the assembly file is enough, or forgot to include some parts files located in remote directories, error!!. To avoid theses type of problems simply ask your customers to generate a Parasolid file (*.X_T), this is a ONE compact file of small size, not matter if the CAD model is a single part or an assembly with thousands of part files.

Also, another benefit of using Parasolid is that when exporting a *.X_T file the CAD user can select the parts to include in the file, not need to send the FULL model, then you see all are benefits!!. So we need to teach CAD users how to improve communication and make things more practical, OK?. This is not an excuse to make direct native format to be reliable as well, of course.

Best regards,

Blas.

Blas Molero Hidalgo, Ingeniero Industrial, Director
IBERISA • 48004 BILBAO (SPAIN)
WEB: http://www.iberisa.com
Blog Femap-NX Nastran: http://iberisa.wordpress.com/

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Would you please send me the offending file?  We can then debug this.

Mark.

sherman dot mark at siemens dot com

Creator
Creator
Mark, The offending files, sldprt, sldassm, x_t and step files have been sent to you. The step files read into FEMAP ok, but the others did not. Gerry

Creator
Creator
Blas, We tried parasolids, but this locked up FEMAP as well. We then tried .step and this worked. I have sent the offending files to FEMAP; Mark Sherman. Thanks! Gerry