Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selecting element based on coordinate?

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello,

Does anyone know if selecting an element based on midpoint coordinate is practically possible? It seems to me that FEMAP always want you to specifiy an area that extends outside the element boundaries in order to activate the element in question. Using current procedures (pick coordinate/pick around point) I always end up selecting 0 or several elements from my model. The additional elements are usually attached to the selected elements and perpendicular to it.

Picking the elements by hand is of course trivial but I'm writing a script that should find a given number of elements based on their location...

Thanks,

-K

2 REPLIES

Re: Selecting element based on coordinate?

Legend
Legend

Hi Krisu,

If the elements you want to select are CQUAD and are in the same plane then the pick by face / adjacent face could be very useful... 

which type of location you would generally use? 

Seifeddine Naffoussi

Re: Selecting element based on coordinate?

Pioneer
Pioneer

I usually want to select only one element. The structure is repetative on sevral frames but the elements size and shape are somewhat different from frame to frame. Now the element selecting procedure is very sensitive to the tolerance: on some frames I get 0 elements while on others I get 10... this is the problem. If elements were selectable based on the midpoint location the procedure would be far more accurate...

-K