Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set mesh size along curve on a solid

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi fellow Femap users! I'm stuck on a question which might be trivial to some of the more advanced Femap users, and I'm hoping to get help from some of you.

I'm trying yo mesh a sphere with  a central cut. In addition to the curves on the sphere, I would also like to specify the mesh size along the "depth" of the cut, however, the solid does not have a pre-existing curve there which could be selected (see picture attached which shows the two nodes highlighted with a black circle between which I would like to define a curve).

Is there an easy way to do this?

Thanks so much in advance for any ideas!

5 REPLIES

Re: Set mesh size along curve on a solid

Legend
Legend

Hi Mia,

You can use the Modify / Break / Curves command. First select the curves on the right then under method select "On point" and select the point on the left. The curve will be splited and a new point will be created in front of the second one.

To have two identical curves and mesh size along the depth of the sphere you can use the Meshing Toolbox / Geometry Editing / Point to Point. By selecting the two points on each half sphere the surface will be split in two and a curve will be created. Then you define the same mesh size ofr both halves.

Regards, 

Seifeddine Naffoussi

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks so much for the quick reply and the detailed and really helpful explanation!

Legend
Legend

You're welcome, If your problem is solved then please tick the solution button such that the topic is closed.

Regards,

Seifeddine Naffoussi

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

If there's no curve inside to outside at this location, and you want one for mesh control, in the Meshing Toolbox, go to Geometry Editing, choose the Point to Point splitter, and then split from the inside to the outside.  You can then change the Mesh Size of this curve (also in the Meshing Toolbox) to set the mesh density to anything you wish.

Mark.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks so much for the help, the point-to-point splitter worked wonderfully!