cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solid Laminate Modelling

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi,

I am trying to model a solid laminate with core as I don't think using PCOMP card accurately represents the torsional stiffness of the structure.

All I have is a shell model of the structure which is essentially a flat laminate. Then I have extruded the elements where the core is going to be and assigned the with the property for the core.

Now my problem is how do I taper the core. I have tried to use Mesh -> Editing -> Split but I think this is more for 2D elements. I basically want to split the rectangular elements diagonally, delete the edge elements so that the core has a taper and then put a top skin over the core.

Patran has both the solid element splitting functionality and the core skinning functionality. Can someomne please tell me the Femap equivalent if there is one or suggest another way to solve the problem.

Regards,

Saptarshi

4 REPLIES

Re: Solid Laminate Modelling

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi

Just providing some images showing the issue I am facing. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. I have yet to figure out how to split the 3D elements diagonally and deleting some of them to model the edge. Then I am trying to skin the top face of the solid elements.

Core Taper ProblemCore Taper Problem

Phenom
Phenom
I can't answer your 3D diagonal split question. I would always be using geometry and hex meshing anyway for simple geometry like that, not manual mesh based changes.

For skinning, I think the command you are looking for is Mesh -> Edge Members, which is used to put 2D elements on the free faces of 3D elements, or line elements on the free edges of plate elements.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hi EndZ,

Thank you for your reply.

I found that the best way to do quick iterations was to perform a Solid -> Extrude operation to make the core.

Once the core solid was there, the Mesh -> Edge Members is the perfect command.

However, I would have expected Femap to have a command to split solid elements. I would request if the next release of Femap can incorporate this feature.

A question for the Femap gurus:

A laminate part, subjected to both bending and torsion is modeled as
1) 2D Laminate (PCOMP: Layup has laminate plies and solid core all as 2D elements)
2) 2D Laminate encasing solid core elements (same layup as before but I have the top and bottom plies as PCOMP and the core as 3D solid elements)

would the results be different between the two?

I would expect the model with the solid elements to be much stiffer in torsion as 2D elements are not designed for carrying torsion; however my results from a sample model gives the same result.

Regards,

Saptarshi

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi,

If anyone can provide some insight into the following questions:

A laminated part, subjected to both bending and torsion is modeled as
1) 2D Laminate (PCOMP: Layup has laminate plies and solid core all as 2D elements)
2) 2D Laminate encasing solid core elements (same layup as before but I have the top and bottom plies as PCOMP and the core as 3D solid elements)

would the results be different between the two?

Regards,

Saptarshi