Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Stiffened panel linear eigenvalue (buckling) results...Abaqus vs. Nastran

I was wondering if you had any experience comparing Abaqus vs. Nastran linear eigenvalue results (buckling). I have noticed that with something like a stiffened panel of seemingly fair mesh density, Nastran will capture all the pocket buckling modes while Abaqus will not. The elements seem to be the same formulation (i.e. S4 or S3), and Lanczos solver is being used for both. The Nastran results show many pocket modes before what would be considered a global mode. Abaqus results show no pocket modes at all. Any thoughts?

3 REPLIES

Re: Stiffened panel linear eigenvalue (buckling) results...Abaqus vs. Nastran

I happened to see many "pocket modes" (you mean localized vibrations of unstiffened plating patches, right?) in Nastran linear eigenvalue analysis (not necessarily down to buckling, it doesn't really matter), but upon checks it always turned out to be physically realistic (and actually accurate). Nastran does a great job.
I don't know anything specific about Abaqus - it may be that it automatically filters out modes with low mass participation. This can also be obtained in Femap, but not in the default Analysis Setup - you will have to dig up into the analysis settings.

Actually, I think there is a difference in the CQUAD4 and S4 element formulations that is causing this. I just cant figure out what that difference is based on the research I've performed so far.

Again, I don't know about  Abaqus. In Femap/Nastran it is about both the element shape (CQUAD4) and property - which can be basically shear or plate (membrane). A plate aproach will show "pocket modes" for unstiffened patches; membrane will not.
The name S4 in Abaqus might suggest Shear? In Femap generally plate is used.

But this is mostly guessing by now. Show some pictures of eigenmodes, property settings and maybe you will get a more qualified answer. And the most important, do the frequencies of the global modes correlate? They should, no mattter whether shear or membrane ...