Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface Extend in meshing toolbox

Creator
Creator

Hi,

Firstly I'd like to say well done on the geometry editing tools in the meshing toolbox, these are an excellent addition to FEMAP.

I've encountered an issue with processing of midsurfaces of box sections frames. Please see the attached images. Unfortunately the surface extend tool in the meshing toolbox (under geometry editing) seems to struggle if intersecting a surface edge on.  In the attached example I am trying to extend one box section member to meet another of the same size, but when I try to extend one coplanar side to meet another get the error  “Error Extending Curves to Surfaces, probably full or partial miss...”.

This is imported parasolid geometry. I tried the same operation in another parasolid based preprocessor for FEA, and found it worked OK.  So I figure this may be a reasonably simple issue for your development team to fix.

Also is there another approach I could try?

Thanks

FR

2 REPLIES

Re: Surface Extend in meshing toolbox

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

When you use the option Extend To with the setting Surface Auto Curve, Femap expects the surface(s) that you are extending to have extents beyond the resulting intersection.  It appears in this case that the dimensions of the two intersecting bodies are equal.

If you set Extend To to Solid, and use Dialog Select to select the ends of the solid you want to extend, then this operation will work correctly.  The attached document shows that this works when the dimensions are equal across the extent of the intersection.

Best Regards,

Chip Fricke

Best Regards,
Chip Fricke
Principal Applications Engineer - Femap Product Development

Re: Surface Extend in meshing toolbox

Creator
Creator

Hi Chip,

Thank you very much for your quick response.

Yes the approach you outlined worked perfectly. So it was just a case of my inexperience with FEMAP, and needing to select the correct tool.

Best Regards

Fergus