Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface Extraction from Solid

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi,

I have a 3D CAD import (STEP file) of a cylindrical shell with a lot of details (holes, notches etc) along the length of the cylinder and them details go through the thickness of the shell.

I need to extract the inner most surface of the cylindrical shell to mesh. I would like to preserve the details during extraction.

I have moved the import model in to a separate layer and I intend to place the surface extract in to a separate layer as well.

I found the Geo -> Surface -> Extract command and I am not happy with the output. It is some how deleting the original solid after extraction. I am assuming that the command is probably "exploding" the solid in to individual surfaces and in the process deleting the original solid model. I would want the original solid model to be preserved in case I decide I need to add more details in to my FEM model in future.

Any suggestions on how I can accomplish the above?

Thanks

3 REPLIES

Re: Surface Extraction from Solid

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

You can use the conmand, Geometry -> Copy -> Surface command and after selecting the surface, click the option for Copy in Same Location in the Generation Options dialog box.

Best Regards,
Chip Fricke
Principal Applications Engineer - Femap Product Development

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Hello!,

You can use command GEOMETRY > SURFACE > OFFSET, it creates a new surface by offsetting an existing solid face. This command requires you to select the surfaces to offset, and enter a distance to offset (the normals of the surface are used as the offset direction). If you use a distance of zero this result in an exact copy of the solid surface.

Best regards,

Blas.

Blas Molero Hidalgo, Ingeniero Industrial, Director
IBERISA • 48004 BILBAO (SPAIN)
WEB: http://www.iberisa.com
Blog Femap-NX Nastran: http://iberisa.wordpress.com/

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks a lot folks for the replies.

I will try out both the options.