Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transforming Deformation in to different Coord.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi,

This is kinda driving me insane. I thought I had figured this out but Femap throws a curve ball and confounds me again.

I have created a custom coord called Doubler Lay Up. The orientation of the custom coord with respect to Global is shown below:

coord3.png

The X Axis of custom coord aligns along the Y Axis of Global Rectangular Coord.

When I want to view the deformation, I select T2 translation and set Transform to Basic Rectangular and the deformation pattern is along expected lines. Again screenshot below:

2.png

Next, I want to view the deformation with respec to custom coord and repeat the above expect that I choose Coord System 3 i.e. Doubler Lay UP. The T2 translation which is Y axis wrt to Coord 3 which is along X Axis in Global and hence was expecting contraction pattern but insteald the output doesn't change.

3.png

What am I doing wrong? Would appreciate inputs folks.

3 REPLIES

Re: Transforming Deformation in to different Coord.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Use "entity editor", select node and change the output csys as shown in the attached pic. This will show the deformation in different csys.

When you do the transform, are you transforming both deformation output & Contour output. Double check that.

-KR

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks KR.

I will have to look in to how to use entity editor.

I have Contour Output turned OFF. Should it be turned ON along with nodal output set to required Coord system?

Is it possible that this a bug i.e. post-processing toolbox not aligning deformation pattern when transformation is done? 'Cause, here I was scratching my head for the entire day thinking what I could have missed/done wrong.

Anyways, appreciate your response.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

This may be a work around but I have figured how to get correct deform pattern in a different coord system.

In post-processing toolbox, I think the Active Components under Transform control deform pattern in a different coord.

I kept the output vector to Total Translation and alternatively checked/unchecked different axes active components and got the deform response as expected. BTW, the transform was set to custom coord. Here is a screen shot:

4.png

BTW, if there is a better way to get desired results, I am all ears.