Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

computer crashes but Femap license remains checked out

PLM World Member Pioneer PLM World Member Pioneer
PLM World Member Pioneer

When my computer crashes hard and needs to be rebooted, if FEMAP was running, the FEMAP license remains checked out for at least an hour and counting. I as humble user - do not have access to the license server. Is there some way to force the license server to update properly. It thinks someone is using Femap when no one is...

There should be a file or something that user could click to request that the license server reflect reality. Or at least time out over a shorter period than 1.5 hours and counting.

Thanks for any help,

Calvin

License times out after about 2 hours. Having to wait 2 hours after a crash seems excessive to me.

4 REPLIES

Re: computer crashes but Femap license remains checked out

Legend
Legend
Hi, Check the windows task manager and see if there are not several femap.exe process. if it is the case then kill the process. Sometimes when crashes happens the femap process stay "hidden"
Seifeddine Naffoussi

PLM World Member Pioneer

Thank you for the suggestion, but in my case the computer crashed not just Femap and so there are no femap processes to kill.

There should be some way for Femap lisence manager to see that I am the same user, on the same computer, on the same network, and recognize that the license previoulsy checked out is no longer being used.

My computer has crashed again, and so now for the next 2 hours I'll just have to wait for Femap to play nice and release the license.

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

The default timeout when Femap loses communication with the license server is 2 hours. This can be adjusted by the user down to a minimum of 15 minutes by using a FlexLM options file that is created on the license server.

On the license server create a file called “esplmd.opt” and place it in the same directory as the Femap license file and FlexLM will automatically find it when the license server is restarted.

Add the following line to that file. Where 900 is the timeout in seconds ( minimum is 900 seconds ).

TIMEOUTALL 900

Restart the license server and the log file should now echo a message indicating that the options file has been loaded.

If then a crash or communication problem should occur the hung license will be returned to the pool in ~15 minutes.

Dan

PLM World Member Pioneer

Dan, thank you for the detailed information. I'll ask IT to impliment and see how it goes.

Cheers,

Calvin