Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

free body question

Hi,

I have a question about Free Body contribution and I am seeking a bit more clarity especially on Peripheral Elements & Free Body Elements.

Femap commands manual provides the following explanation:

• Peripheral Elements - When On, includes grid point force and moment contributions from the selected Output Set for the elements surrounding the Freebody Elements selected in Entities section.
• Freebody Elements - When On, includes grid point force and moment contributions from the selected Output Set for the elements selected in Entities section.

I did simple exercise, plate with tensile load to get a better understanding of exactly what each option does and it seemed obvious but for more complex case, I unable to get clarity. I am requesting more exprienced folks to help me understand the above.

Also, is there an option to restrict interface load only to selected/active group instead of the whole model?

Regards....

2 REPLIES

Re: free body question

[ Edited ]

Hi,

When you go about selecting the elements for Freebody, if you select the elements in the particular group shouldn't that work out.

If I understand your problem correctly, the solution should be similar to what they do in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmcGOS94DC4

The group only has a few elements and when you select the elements in the group, you get the interface loads for that group.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Saptarshi

Re: free body question

[ Edited ]

Think of
{FREEBODY ELEMENTS=A} and {PERIPHERAL ELEMENTS=B} as MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE members of the SET {ALL ELEMENTS=S} such that: