cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

free body question

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi,

I have a question about Free Body contribution and I am seeking a bit more clarity especially on Peripheral Elements & Free Body Elements.

Femap commands manual provides the following explanation:

• Peripheral Elements - When On, includes grid point force and moment contributions from the selected Output Set for the elements surrounding the Freebody Elements selected in Entities section.
• Freebody Elements - When On, includes grid point force and moment contributions from the selected Output Set for the elements selected in Entities section.

I did simple exercise, plate with tensile load to get a better understanding of exactly what each option does and it seemed obvious but for more complex case, I unable to get clarity. I am requesting more exprienced folks to help me understand the above.

Also, is there an option to restrict interface load only to selected/active group instead of the whole model?

Regards....

2 REPLIES

Re: free body question

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi,

When you go about selecting the elements for Freebody, if you select the elements in the particular group shouldn't that work out.

If I understand your problem correctly, the solution should be similar to what they do in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmcGOS94DC4

The group only has a few elements and when you select the elements in the group, you get the interface loads for that group.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Saptarshi

Re: free body question

Experimenter
Experimenter

Think of
{FREEBODY ELEMENTS=A} and {PERIPHERAL ELEMENTS=B} as MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE members of the SET {ALL ELEMENTS=S} such that:

Capture.PNG