cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to EFFICIENTLY produce plate thickness plots in FEMAP?

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello,

I work a lot with plate elements in FEMAP and often need to communicate  structural changes to the structural designer. The best way to do this as I see is by producing FE-model plots with plate thickness information.

Unfortunately this is made extremely cumbersome in FEMAP (V11.1.2 and earlier). Manually thickness plots can be created using View Options -> Countour/Criteria Level -> Set levels... and manually defining the spacing of the legend. This plot then needs some manipulation e.g. in MS paint to produce a plot like the one attached.

This procedure has several drawbacks and I will not bore you with all the details. I would not recommend anyone to use the procedure but I am not aware of any alternatives and somehow the thickness plots must be created.

My question therefore: Does anyone know how to efficiently produce HQ plate thickness plots from FEMAP? All help highly appreciated!

-Kristoffer

THICKNESS_PLOT.png

21 REPLIES

Re: how to EFFICIENTLY produce plate thickness plots in FEMAP?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Try using:

View/Advanced Post/ Contour Model Data

Once you toggle on the display, then select "plane element thickness" under property data

You can also find the icon shortcut for this on the default toolbar.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Yes, this option is used in the plot attached. The problem remains: the legend does not automatically adjust to the number of thicknesses in the model being presented. E.g. 17 mm and 17.5 mm plate may well be shown with the same color if one uses FEMAP equally spaced legend. 

-Kristoffer

Phenom
Phenom

Hello,

Here are a few ideas and APIs which might help:

- first you need to decide through which medium you create a legend, the most direct being output and property value. You're saying your problem is the fact that thickness values are discrete and arbitrarily spread, reason for which the output legend has a hard time creating nice plots. By property then.

- good looking plots imply colors that are easily differentiable. When using FEMAP's color "randomization" sometimes you won't get a "nice" color pattern immediately. For this the "Color Prop" API quickens the process and limits to "nicer" colors.

- then the macro "2D Thickness Plot" might help you. The original idea is from E.Crespin. It creates a legend using textboxes. Use the 3 constants in the header to set where the texts are set on screen.

This can be tweaked and improved in many ways:

- texts could be added in a specific "Propert Legend Layer", which allows you to keep them and switch them on and off

- macro could detect if you are in a group, in which case the texts are added to the group (otherwise you won't see them)

- this macro sorts properties by thickness then gives the same color to properties with the same thickness. This might not be what you want

...etc...

Keep in mind the fact that this work that well if you have too many different thicknesses: textboxes will go off screen! Model Data Contour will be better then.

Hope this helps,

AP

Pioneer
Pioneer

This was an EXTREMELY useful API!

I made a minor change to the 2D Thickness Plot: The legend is plotted for plate element in the active group only. In this way the user can control the extrent of the shown structure an limit the number of thicknesses in the legend.

Thank you!!

Legend
Legend

In our company we tried to solve the problem with thickness plot. We developed FREE tool for femap that plots plate thickness using labels. Also it can plot Plate property id or id and title.

We would like to share it with Femap users. Registration is not required on the website to download the tool Smiley Wink:

http://www.sdcverifier.com/products/thickness-plot

thickness_tool.png thickness tool 2.png

Legend
Legend

Dear Kristoffer,

Can you send me neutral file of frame (from your post) and I will make plot using our tool:

support@sdcverifier.com

Yarko

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

Yarko,

I downloaded your thickness-plot tool and ran the installer.  It appeared to crank away for a while during the install but in the end gave no explicit feedback.  In FEMAP there is no obvious command added.  Or does the tool run stand-alone?  Do you have any instructions on how to use the tool?

Cheers,

Chris

Legend
Legend

Dear Chris,

Thank you for your comment. 

Our tool is standalone and it does not create command in Femap (but this is good idea to add also button on toolbar in Femap).

This is first version of our tool and setup is very basic. After installation the shortcut on your desktop is created. (I'm going to improve that too today).

shortcut.png

After running a tool press F1 and there is very short instructions. 

Again thank your for feedback. I hope together we can create tool which is valuable for a lot of Femap users.

Yarko

Legend
Legend

Dear Chris,

Setup is improved and you will see when tool is installed. 

Also after feedback of my colleagues I fixed an issue with too much labels for curved sections. Added extra option to also make a plot for hull (but it should be without connected stiffeners) like on this example:

hull_example.png

Please download v1.1 (same location as yesterday):

http://www.sdcverifier.com/products/thickness-plot

Yarko