Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

net (cumulative) strain on external walls - pressure housing

Hi, In related to a discussion I have started on this topic a couple of weeks back, Internally Pressurized Housing - Post Processing , here is another question I am hoping to get some answers. 

I modelled the housing with axisymmetric 2D elements in order to investigate the strain on the OD (along the "tube section"). I was able to pick the nodes using curve on the OD of the tube section and plot/import all the strain values for applied internal pressure of 20 ksi. Image below shows the axial strain plot along the tube section on the OD. Similarly I can grab the Azimuth and radial strains for the outer elements. 

Axial Strain_Tube_Along Length.png

But really what I am mostly interested to know is "the net external strain on the elements (on OD)". in other words, the net change in circumference/radius due to pressure. Is there a way I could accomplish this? I have attached the model for reference. 

Thank you. 

Ajinka

6 REPLIES

Re: net (cumulative) strain on external walls - pressure housing

After reading more, I think that the hoop strain on the OD is the cumulative (total)? the one that measures the change in circumference.!!?

[ Edited ]

If I have understood correctly what do you need, you have to plot the total displacement and you will give the change in diameter!

Best Regards

AMinati

Hi AMinati, Thank you. That should give me the change in diameter /circumference. 

Regards,

Ajinka

The material tensile strengh is 40 kpsi (Yiled is probably just over half). The Von Mises stress on the ID is about 36 kpsi. Should I be worried? Can someone please enlighten me. Thank you. 

Von Mises Stress_2D Axisymmetric Elements_R.PNG

[ Edited ]

"To plot stress I use the FEMAP Stress Linearization Tool (see Femap forum) to analyse stress according to ASME Section VIII Division 2" 

Dont worry, be happy)

Thank you Smiley Happy