cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

strain postprocessing-sold von mises/non linear solid von mises

Legend
Legend

Hello,

I am having some problems to understand the results about the strains. I did not find in the help the difference between :

- solid von mises strain

-solid non linear von mises strain

In fact I run an analysis (sol106) with a part of linear elastic material properties. I check the strains there and they are different. I assumed that non linear strain  should be 0. I show the results from FEMAP for one output location

Value = 0.0004411 | Output Vector 70861 : SolidC5 Von Mises Strain
Value = 0.000436 | Output Vector 70983 : Nonlinear SolidC5 Von Mises Strain
Value = 0. | Output Vector 70984 : Nonlinear SolidC5 Plastic Strain

As It should be plastic =0

Some help?

3 REPLIES

Re: strain postprocessing-sold von mises/non linear solid von mises

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

NASTRAN reports linear strain in the global coordinate system, nonlinear in elemental.  Use the Transform option in the PostProcessing Toolbox to transform everything to global and then you can visualize them in a consistent frame of reference.

Mark.

Legend
Legend

hello masherman,

I did it but it does not work. My model in this area (aother areas have plastic defintion) is elastic, so the only nonlinearity could be due to large displacement .

The issue is: what does it mean?

1.solid von mises 

2.solid non linear

3.solid plastic

I tought that:

1.solid von mises : total strain (elastic+plastic)

2.solid non linear:???

3.solid plastic: it is clear, the plastic part

So in my example as 3 component is 0. Solid non linear due to large displacement should be 0 . total strain=elastic part 

Legend
Legend

hello again,

It seems to be that sol 106 only obtains the stresses at the centroid and the corner values are extarpolations from FEMAP. This is the reason, I think, of some discrepancy. At centroid the values match always

If some developer from siemens can confirm that . Because I can not find this issue in the help