Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

2D plane contact

Hello,

This is my first post. I am writting regarding a case that I can't seem to get it work.

I am trying to simulate simple circular plane (ABS material, PSHELL elements with plane strain formulation) that moves downwards and should come into contact with the rectangular plane (ABS material, PSHELL elements with plane strain formulation). The problem is I can' t seem to figure out how to define contacts. I am using solver 601(106, 129) and NX Nastran 8.5 (ADINA) and NX 8.5 preprocessing. I am also attaching some pictures. I would like to know if there is some way to define contacts on the edges. So this would mean that the contacts would start to work when two lines come into contact. Currently the model just goes through another.

I would later also like to use the principle with hyperelastic material models.

I would be grateful for any help.

Regards.

4 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bostjan_O
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

Re: 2D plane contact

You can specify edge-edge contact using BCTSET pointing to BEDGE regions in NX Nastran 8.5. Unfortunately, support for defining this boundary condition was not added to NX until version 9.

If you are constrained to use NX 8.5, you would manually have to define the necessary Nastran cards. The easiest way to do that in NX is via user defined text modeling objects.

Information on the contact definition can be found in Chapter 4 of the Advanced Nonlinear Theory and Modeling Guide (https://support.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/docs/nastran/v85/en_US/custom/advanced_nonli...)

Thank you for the answer. I was wondering what I did wrong because I also went through theory and couldn' t find it in the preprocessor enviroment. I will try to manually do it till we go to the next version of NX.

Thanks again!

start with the 2 bodies in contact (with appropriate boundary conditions ie inital velocity, etc.. No need to have  (a lot) of time steps calculated to move the red body to come into contact with the blue one.

Production: NX9.0.3.4, NX10.0.2.6
Development: VB.NET (amateur level !)

Thanks for the reply,

I know I could've done it with different setup, but I was mainly only focused on the procedure of getting contacts to work for this kind of case.