cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change of Beam Element orientation

Experimenter
Experimenter

Dear all,

I have a problem during meshing a beam model where I want to change the orientation of the elements after the meshing. E.g. I have non symmetric cross section which I have to orient properly according the underlying design. I found only the commend "reverse direction" during the meshing but see no reasonable method for changing the orientation after I quit the command.

It was rather easy doing this in FEMAP by applying the command "Line Element Reverse Direction" but I could not find this in NX.....

Any help is highly appreciated.

Regards
karl

4 REPLIES

Re: Change of Beam Element orientation

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Karl,

Specification of the orientation vector, end offsets and Pin Flags is done via Mesh Associated Data and/or Element Associated Data.

For Mesh Associated Data, RMB on the mesh in the Navigator and pick "Edit Mesh Associated Data...". These settings affect all of the elements in the selected mesh(s).

For Element Associated Data, click on the Nodes and Elements tab. In the More gallery in the Elements group, select "Associated Data". Then pick the specific elements that you want to modify.

MAD.pngEAD.png

Experimenter
Experimenter

Jim,

Thanks for your response. What I am looking for is to change the orientation of a section like shown in the picture below. The 3 elements linked to the line are what I get during the meshing command (that, by the way, provides no preview at all) and the single element shows what I want to have. E.g. in FEMAP this is a rather easy operation: just do the meshing have a look at it, change the orientation vector Y or Z and then use the command “Reverse Line Orientation”. In NX the only way I have seen so far working is using the “connectivity” command with option “swap end nodes” but this has to be applied on a element by element base – not really suitable for a 1000+ element model.

beam.jpg

Any suggestions?

Best regards

karl

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Here's a python journal that will automate the process. You select alll of the beam elements that you want the connectivity reversed for.

It will loop over all of the selected elements and do the Modify Connectivity/Swap Ends for each one.

(remove the .txt extension to get file named multiSwap1dEndNodes.py)

Experimenter
Experimenter

Jim,

thanks a lot, works great. Maybe somthing the Siemens guys should have a look at Smiley Happy

Regards

karl