cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing TET(4) into TET(10)

Creator
Creator

Hi,

is there a simple way to change TET(4) elements into TET(10) elements?

Whenever I create a simulation to check on the boundary conditions in the calculation model, I very roughly mesh with TET4 elements in the first step. In the following step, I very roughly mesh with TET10 elements. Finally, I refine mesh to get the final result.

Switching from TET4 to TET10 elements is always very time-consuming. I have to separately change the element type for each mesh.

Is there an easier way?

Thank you very much!

Greeting

Werner

4 REPLIES

Re: Changing TET(4) into TET(10)

Phenom
Phenom

maybe considering a custom "journal" ie a program

Loop through each mesh in your fem and change the element type to tet10

Production: NX9.0.3.4, NX10.0.2.6
Development: VB.NET (amateur level !)

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Hi Werner,

What NX Version are you using?

In NX 10, the "Multiple Mesh Edit" was introduced(https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nx/10/nx_help#uid:index_whatsnew:id1254082:xid718512:xi...)

This allows to select multiple meshes using the shift button, then rightclick and select "Edit".

This allows you to modify the Element Type of all selected meshes and to remesh.

For switching from Tet4 to Tet10 a remeshing makes sense to place the midnodes correctly on the geometry. You can also just switch the element type by selecting the "Modify Type" function in the nodes and Elements tab. No remeshing will be performed in that case but the mid-nodes will be inserted on the middle of the element edge between the tets corner nodes.

If you are using an older version of NX, the NX Open approach would be a good choice.

Best regards
Boris

Creator
Creator

Hi Boris,

thanks for your reply.

I m using NX 11.

When selecting multiple meshes and edit them, all meshes get the same properties - just as you described. 

But the elements of the selected meshes get the same size. I don t want to loose the defined element size.

Is there another possibility?

Best regards

Werner 

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom