cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Command line option for iterative solver

Legend
Legend

Hello Experts,

often I start NX nastran via command line. I wonder if there is an option to make NX using the iterative solver in SOL101.

I found sys442=1 but I'm not sure if its the the right one.

Nastran help started with "!UGII_BASE_DIR!\NXNASTRAN\bin\nastran64L.exe help all"

did not provide that commad option but it was the difference in LOG-FILE  when I started my solution from NX program surface interactively.

Or is it a parameter setting in dat file which has to be activated for iterative solver?

Any suggestions will help, best wishes

Michael

5 REPLIES

Re: Command line option for iterative solver

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

sys442 controls the Solution Monitor for runs launched from NX. It has no effect on the iterative solver.

To activate the global iterative solver, you would set sys216=yes

To activate the element iterative solver, you would set sys216=yes and sys399=yes

Legend
Legend
JimB, I will try it. Thank you. Michael

Legend
Legend
Dear Jim B,
I did re-solve my model with modified command line options as you recommended, thank you.
But now I'm not sure if it did work. - Can I recognize i.g. in log file or f06 file if the solver was the iterative one?
(My f06 file is very large - more than 1GB - and its difficult to open it.)

Best wishes, Michael

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

If the element iterative solver is used, the .fo6 file will contain the following summary table:

I T E R A T I V E  S O L U T I O N  S U M M A R Y

NUMBER OF EQUATIONS                    =       1746
NUMBER OF NONZEROS IN STIFFNESS MATRIX =      42642
NUMBER OF NONZEROS IN PRECONDITIONER   =      36579
PRECONDITIONER SELECTED                =   STANDARD
NUMBER OF ITERATIONS                   =         20
CONVERGENCE CRITERIA USED              =       AREX
CONVERGENCE TOLERANCE USED             =   1.00E-08
MEMORY AVAILABLE                       =       8816 MB
MEMORY USED IN CG ITERS                =          1 MB
CG WORKING SET SIZE                    =          0 MB IF MATRIX OUTOFCORE
SCRATCH FILE DISK SPACE                =          1 MB
MULTIPLY MEGAFLOP RATE                 =          0
SOLVE MEGAFLOP RATE                    =          0

If the .f06 is too large to open, you can also look for the following in the .log file:

********************************************************************************
*                                                                              *
* PCGLSS 8.0: Linear Equations Solver                                          *
*                                                                              *
*(C) Copyright 1992-2011 Computational Applications and System Integration Inc.*
*     All rights Reserved.                                                     *
* CASI, 2001 South First Street, Champaign, IL 61820.                          *
*  Ph         (217)244-7875                                                    *
*  Fax        (217)244-7874                                                    *
* CASI DOES NOT GUARANTEE THE CORRECTNESS OR USEFULNESS OF THE RESULTS         *
* OBTAINED USING PCGLSS. CASI IS NOT LIABLE FOR ANY CONCLUSIONS OR ACTIONS     *
* BASED ON THE RESULTS. IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE USER TO CONFIRM THE    *
* ACCURACY AND USEFULNESS OF THE RESULTS.                                      *
********************************************************************************

Legend
Legend

Dear JimB, now I'm happy, thank you. Best wishes, Michael