Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constraints with RBE2 PROBLEMS NX NASTRAN

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello guys,

I have some problems with my Nastran simulations. I want to lock the bearing seats of my assembly. So i used a 1D Connection to connect the bearing surface with an rbe2 element to a point in the middle. Now i locked dof 1 and 3 on that point. I applied some loads but the bearing seat can still move. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your helpassembly1_assyfem1_sim1.pngassembly1_assyfem1_sim2.pngassembly1_assyfem2.png

7 REPLIES

Re: Constraints with RBE2 PROBLEMS NX NASTRAN

Legend
Legend

I am not sure but it seems to be that the component is rotating about "y" axis?

Experimenter
Experimenter

that DOF is locked by the flange on the left with the four holes in it

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I would agree with @jon_morga. Fixing X and Z at the centerline grid will prevent translation, but not rotation. The deformations and the contour distribution sure look like a rotation to me.

Even if the rotation is fixed by the left component, there is bending in the legs that connect the middle disk to the right disk, sothe right-most piece is rotating with respect to the fixed flange.

Legend
Legend

You can perfom a modal analysis and see the mode shapes with natural frequencies close to 0. This indicates solid rigid movement. 

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks for your help! I didn't read you answers correctly. You are right with your opinion about rotation. It should be able to rotate there. I was concerned about the expanding.

Experimenter
Experimenter
I will try that. Thanks for your help!

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

The "expansion" is a different issue. This is due to the fact that you are running a linear analysis. This means that the model (nodal coordinates, load directions, etc.) is not updated with nodal displacements. This is a good assumption for small displacement analysis.

If you truly have large displacements and need the model to update with displacements, you need to run a geometric nonlinear (large displacement) analysis.