Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Distance between two nodes - Results

Hi,

A very simple question, yet without answer found so far:

How can I measure the distance between two nodes in a deformed model (result analysis), in NX CAE?

With the measure tools, I can do it in pre-processing, but not in post (with the same filters).

Would the post-processing display, as I fear, only be a graphical one, without "storage" of the displaced node coordinates?

Thanks,

4 REPLIES

Re: Distance between two nodes - Results

Unfortunately, there is no direct way to do this. There are a couple of indirect ways:

Use Identify. With displacements as the displayed result, pick Identify, then pick the two nodes. On the Identify dialog, select the spreadsheet output option. For each node, you will get 6 values: the (X, Y, Z) of the undeformed location and the (dX, dY, dZ) of the deformations. You will have to create a couple of formulas in Excel. First, add the deformations to the undeformed coordinates to get the deformed coordinates. Then, subtract the deformed coordinates from each other. Finally, take the square root of the sum of the squares of the differences to get the distance.

Second option is to deform the mesh:

https://solutions.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/docs/newsletter/nx-deforming-mesh-to-resul...

Note that this document was written for older versions of NX. In newer versions, there is an option on Identify to create a field directly. With this, you do not have to export the text file and manually create a field an improt the data. You can use the field from Identify directly in the node translate command.

Thanks for the quick answer, although I'm quite sad that there is no tool for such a basic analysis need...
Should we sign a petition to have it in the next version?!?

Actually, I forgot about one easier option: Result Probe.

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nx/11/nx_help#uid:xid1128419:index_advanced:xid433696:x...

Hello again,

I had to upgrade to NX11...

I'm still having difficulties to setup the formula and define the variables. It's not easy to find a clear information in the help documentation. I'd be glad if you had some!

Thanks,