Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

FEA Software Testing Engineer

Hi everybody!

I 'm a civil (structural) engineer and I 'm using Femap/Nx Nastran. I have an oppurtinity to work for a company which develops a FEA software (pre/post processor and solver, nothing to do with Femap), as a Software Testing Engineer.
I 've read many things for this job in the internet, but nothing had to do with a FEA software. All the opinions and articles I read, refered to other kinds of softwares.
Does anybody know how exactly this job is apply to a FEA software. I 'm afraid of a boring and monotonous occupation (as several say). FEA is my passion( modeling complex things, nonlinear dynamics analysis, contact elements etc), but I don 't really want to work for a FEA company and do nothing of the things I like, but just perform boring and repeatitive tests.
I want to model, analyze, critisize the results etc.

Any opinion would be very helpful for me!

2 REPLIES

Re: FEA Software Testing Engineer

Hi, 

I'm not sure what you're asking, do you want our opinion on whether a software testing engineer is the job for you? A software testing engineer and someone who uses FEA software are two very different things. It seems you like to do the latter, and if so I would agree being a software testing engineer may not be the job for you. 

Any manufacturer of complex components uses FEA in the design & engineering department and it is there you would be able to use FEA software to do the things you say you are passionate about.  Finally in defense of FEA software companies you certainly can do pretty interesting things with it depending on your role and even with a manufacturer you can end up in a "boring and monotonous" job doing the same FEA analysis for ever and ever... so be careful what you wish for! Smiley Happy

Hope that helps! Smiley Very Happy

jacksonfem wrote:

Hi everybody!

I 'm a civil (structural) engineer and I 'm using Femap/Nx Nastran. I have an oppurtinity to work for a company which develops a FEA software (pre/post processor and solver, nothing to do with Femap), as a Software Testing Engineer.
I 've read many things for this job in the internet, but nothing had to do with a FEA software. All the opinions and articles I read, refered to other kinds of softwares.
Does anybody know how exactly this job is apply to a FEA software. I 'm afraid of a boring and monotonous occupation (as several say). FEA is my passion( modeling complex things, nonlinear dynamics analysis, contact elements etc), but I don 't really want to work for a FEA company and do nothing of the things I like, but just perform boring and repeatitive tests.
I want to model, analyze, critisize the results etc.

Any opinion would be very helpful for me!

Regards,
Ganesh

Simcenter 3D Community Manager
Simulation and Test Solutions

Re: FEA Software Testing Engineer

'''Any manufacturer of complex components uses FEA in the design & engineering department and it is there you would be able to use FEA software to do the things you say you are passionate about''

I understand...and because my country does not have any heavy industry (no automotive, no aerospace, no defence, machinery, nothing at all)...I assumed that it would be very difficult to find a company to work with an advanced FEA software...I just use SOFiSTiK for structural engineering...and Nastran just for my pleasure...not for work.

But least...test engineer, is the only job I can do, so close to a FEA software...

Thank you very much for your response!