Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

FEMAP with NX.Nastran and Windows XP 64 bit

hello,
I like XP more than Win 7. So I want to downgrade from 7 to XP 64bit. But before I would like to know Your opinion. Are there disadvantages of Win XP 64bit compared to Win 7 64 bit, in terms of needed simulation time, memory etc. or are they equivalent?

Johannes
3 REPLIES

Re: FEMAP with NX.Nastran and Windows XP 64 bit

Dear Johannes,
The only reason to downgrade from Win7-64bit to WinXP-64bit is in the case your machine is old, with low graphics resources and processor speed or RAM memory.

But you are posting in the NX NASTRAN forum, then this is not CAD, you are dealing with FE analysis where power processor & RAM memory counts, is critical, then I understand you will have a powerful machine with minimun 8 GB or more and faster hard discs, then Win7-64bits is a must, in my opinion this is the best OS of Microsoft for ever!!.
Best regards,
Blas.

Thanks, Blas, for Your answer. My processor is Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5420 @ 2.50GHz, 8 GB RAM. But I really don't understand Your arguments and would like to know in more detail. I know that XP 64 can use all 8 GB and even more. So I wonder seriously if it is just a Microsoft commercial interest that we have to use Win 7 (which already as OS needs more resources than XP 64) or if it is the same (or better because of less needs of resources for the OS) to use XP 64. Do You have an explanation or do You have a comparision on the same hardware between XP 64 and 7 64?

Regards, Johannes

Dear Johannes,
You have a modern hardware, then you need modern OS to take advance of the computer, this is my simply argument. Yes, I hate to pay for a new OS, but please note development & support of WinXP is stopped, then SIEMENS developpers are targeting Win7 as the developping plattform, so I don't want to have any problems of lack of compatibility because using old XP, the real life is so complex to abord with FEA & NX NASTRAN, so I try to reduce potenticla problems as much as possible.
Best regards,
Blas.