Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Geometric nonlinear for a flixible instrument.

Creator
Creator

Hi, 

For my thesis, I am trying to model the bending of a flexible instrument using NX11 advanced simulation. With solve 106. It has geometric nolinearity. I model it as a beam with a moment at the end and I want it to have the form shown below. Is there a tutorial which gives a step by step instructions on how to work with sol 106? 

The manual seems overly complicated and FEA is not really the goal of the thesis, thus I don't have the time to go through the manual or learn how to write input files. 

3 REPLIES

Re: Geometric nonlinear for a flixible instrument.

I am afraid that sequence 106 maybe not enough for your problem. here large strain problem may be driving.
SOL106 is up to 10% (11-12)of strain, for larger you need check 106/601.
Read frist about the material models in Siemens Documentation and choose proper one. In Online documentation you also have some tutorials how to perform basic analysis.

Here is the link to documentation.
https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nx/11/nx_help/#uid:index

PS: what is the exact output you need ?

Creator
Creator
Hi,
It seems you are right, sol 106 is not working. However, I've been trying
to work with 601 but I never seem to get it to work. And the documentation
has no concise tutorial on how to use 601. But this being the internet, I
bet somewhere some has used it or made a tutorial and I was wondering if
anyone might know a link. (BTW, I am not using Femap)

Creator
Creator

We are trying to model the bending of a flexible instrument (Shown below picture 1) by pulling on the wire so it has a "U" shape as its final form (So it can bend more than 180°). The material used is superelastic nitinol. But we are having problems with how to work with sol 601. I think it's because we are not really familiar with the solver, what parameters to consider, the material models other pre-processing steps. A good tutorial would very helpful or some very helpful tips and pointers.