Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to only get the final result of a simulation

Solution Partner Experimenter Solution Partner Experimenter
Solution Partner Experimenter
Hi

A customer of us is running a non linear calculation on a file. The problem is that he receive back a huge amount of data because Nastran returns results for every single iteration.
Is there any way, or any parameter, he can use to only get back the final results and not all the steps in between?

It is very time consuming to open the files and the computer often “hangs” due to the amount of data.

Regards

Jens Erik Mortensen
3 REPLIES

Re: How to only get the final result of a simulation

Siemens Builder Siemens Builder
Siemens Builder
Jens,

I assume that you are running SOL 601 since the default for SOL 106 is to only output results for the last increment.

For SOL 601, output frequency is controlled by the third value on the TSTEP card, NOi. The default for this is 1, meaning that output is stored for every step. If you set it to 10, output will be saved every 10th step. Output is always saved at the last step, so if your solution takes 15 steps and you have NOi set to 10, you would get output for step 10 and step 15. If you only want output for the final step, but don't know how many steps there will be, simply set NOi to a large number (i.e. 1000) and you will only get output at the last step.

Regards,
--
Jim Bernard
Advanced Applications Engineer

Siemens PLM Software
2000 Eastman Dr., Milford, OH 45150-2712
www.siemens.com/plm

Solution Partner Experimenter Solution Partner Experimenter
Solution Partner Experimenter
Hi again

Our customer is running SOL 106. Do you have any suggestions for that? see below

I am running sol 106 but I guess I am modifying the default settings without knowing it. I have checked all the parameters but I don’t know which one might be modifying the default settings.

Below you see what I am using on the file.

SOL NLSTATIC

TIME 10000

GEOMCHECK, NONE

CEND

$set 1= 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8

TITLE = Stress analysis

ECHO = NONE

DISPLACEMENT(PLOT) = ALL

SPCFORCE(PRINT,PLOT) = ALL

OLOAD(PLOT) = ALL

FORCE(PLOT,CORNER) = ALL

STRESS(PLOT,CORNER) = ALL

SPC = 1

MPC = 1000

SUBCASE 142

SUBTITLE =Unb/+Y Blast +Y

NLPARM = 1

LOAD = 306

BEGIN BULK

PARAM,BAILOUT,-1

PARAM,NLTOL,2

NLPARM 1 25 ITER 1 25 UPW YES+

+ .001 .001 1.-7 3 25 4 .2 .5+

+ 5 20.

PARAM,PRGPST,NO

PARAM,POST,-1

PARAM,OGEOM,NO

PARAM,AUTOSPC,YES

PARAM,MAXRATIO,1.+10

PARAM,GRDPNT,0

Regards

Jens Erik

Siemens Builder Siemens Builder
Siemens Builder
For SOL 106, intermediate output is controlled by field 9 (INTOUT) on the first line of the NLPARM card. The card you show has this set to "YES", which means results will be output for every increment. The NX Nastran default is "NO", so you can leave the field blank or set it to "NO" and you will only get output for the final load:

NLPARM 1 25 ITER 1 25 UPW NO+
--
Jim Bernard
Advanced Applications Engineer

Siemens PLM Software
2000 Eastman Dr., Milford, OH 45150-2712
www.siemens.com/plm