Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use velocity load in sol 601 and 701?

Pioneer
Pioneer
Hi,

I need to run a simulation with an object having a certain velocity, I tried applying velocity to the object in many ways (direct to nodes, by surface, etc. I also tried putting a "1" unit velocity and controlling the velocity via a function.) and nothing works, I run the analysis, and the object stays stationary. What am I doing wrong, and why is it different from other load types?

P.S - I use FEMAP as the pre/post processor.
4 REPLIES

Re: How to use velocity load in sol 601 and 701?

Innovator
Innovator
Hello!,
What type of analysis do you want to run?.
Best regards,
Blas.

Pioneer
Pioneer
Hi Blas,
Mainly explicit non linear (sol701) I would like to simulate an object hitting a hard surface at a certain speed.

Pioneer
Pioneer
The thing is, I am trying to simulate a drop test, I try to keep it simple just to see how it works. A simple cylinder hitting a floor at a certain speed. I tried both sol601 and sol701, but nothing happens. The cylinder just stays in place and I get no translations and no stresses, nothing. I fix the floor in all 6 DOFs, in sol701 I dont fix the cylinder in any DOF, in sol 601 I tried also fixing it (only 1 DOF is not fixed for movement in the dropping axis) and also not fixing it, nothing happens, it just stays in place...
What am I doing wrong?

Pioneer
Pioneer
Figured it out with my local vendor.
"initial conditions" was left blank, so no velocity...
Thanks for your time.