Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to use velocity load in sol 601 and 701?

Hi,

I need to run a simulation with an object having a certain velocity, I tried applying velocity to the object in many ways (direct to nodes, by surface, etc. I also tried putting a "1" unit velocity and controlling the velocity via a function.) and nothing works, I run the analysis, and the object stays stationary. What am I doing wrong, and why is it different from other load types?

P.S - I use FEMAP as the pre/post processor.
4 REPLIES

Re: How to use velocity load in sol 601 and 701?

Hello!,
What type of analysis do you want to run?.
Best regards,
Blas.

Hi Blas,
Mainly explicit non linear (sol701) I would like to simulate an object hitting a hard surface at a certain speed.

The thing is, I am trying to simulate a drop test, I try to keep it simple just to see how it works. A simple cylinder hitting a floor at a certain speed. I tried both sol601 and sol701, but nothing happens. The cylinder just stays in place and I get no translations and no stresses, nothing. I fix the floor in all 6 DOFs, in sol701 I dont fix the cylinder in any DOF, in sol 601 I tried also fixing it (only 1 DOF is not fixed for movement in the dropping axis) and also not fixing it, nothing happens, it just stays in place...
What am I doing wrong?

Figured it out with my local vendor.
"initial conditions" was left blank, so no velocity...
Thanks for your time.