Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Huge different between element stress and nodal stress

For every simulations that I do, the nodal stress is always double the element stress,especially at high stress area, e.g. 220 and 470N/mm^2 see attached photos. I am confused of which value should I use to compare with yield stress.

I have done some research on this problem and it seems this problem was due to low mesh density. However the result has not been improved even when I double the mesh density at the high stress area.

Is it normal for the nodal stress to be double the element stress?

Thank you very much

3 REPLIES

Re: Huge different between element stress and nodal stress

The rigid elements you are using to model the pin have infinite stiffness. This generates a natural stress discontinuity at the location where they attach to the structure.

If you set the color bar range the same between the two views (0 - 221 MPa), or probe 1-2 nodes away from the rigid element attachment locations, you should see very similar values.

Thanks for your reply, Jim. According to your explanation, I can ignore the stress concentration at the RBM connection point, right?
Other than the RBM connection point, which stress should I be used for comparison with yield stress in general?

Thank you very much

i am with a pretty similar problem! Did you took those snips with nodal combination in average?