Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Illegal Instruction in Stiffness Reduction (SEKRRS) Module

Hi,

I have a new installation (FEMAP 11.2 & NX 10.1 on a Windows 8.1 m/c) but cannot get any of my analyses to run. Nastran crashes in the SEKRRS module regardless of the solution sequence run. The f06 file error is...

MAIN: "Illegal instruction" (C000001D) exception encountered.
 MAIN: For reference, A(MAINAL)   =     7FF763CD1090, A(/SYSTEM/) =     7FF76677EB20  
 MAIN:                A(/OPENZZ/) =         7FFF1040                                  
 MAIN: Exception occurred at address 00007FFAF9CB3E72.
 MAIN: Context Flags 0010005F

While a memory overflow seems likely, the decomp stats in the f04 are ...

CPU TIME ESTIMATE =      18 SEC                I/O TIME ESTIMATE =       0 SEC
       MINIMUM MEMORY REQUIREMENT =    1802 K WORDS             MEMORY AVAILABLE =  501830 K WORDS
     MEMORY REQR'D TO AVOID SPILL =    3631 K WORDS         MEMORY USED BY METIS =    2309 K WORDS

...which indicates there is plenty of memory available. Any suggestions please?

5 REPLIES

Re: Illegal Instruction in Stiffness Reduction (SEKRRS) Module

Nastran is picking up the METIS method for matrix decomposition. Try selecting the BEND method. You can do this by setting the system cell 206  to 4.

You can do this by specifying "sys206=4" in the nastran command line option.

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately I still get the same error.  These are the current system cells
     NASTRAN BUFFSIZE=32769 $(C:/FEMAPV|1/NASTRAN/CONF/NAST10.RCF[5])               
     NASTRAN BUFFPOOL=5844                                                          
     NASTRAN DIAGA=128 DIAGB=0 $(C:/FEMAPV|1/NASTRAN/CONF/NAST10.RCF[12])           
     NASTRAN REAL=2125463552 $(PROGRAM DEFAULT)                                     
     INIT MASTER(S)                                                                 
     NASTRAN SYSTEM(442)=-1,SYSTEM(319)=1,SYSTEM(206)=4
The system has 8GB so am currently wondering if it's because I've got an AMD A4 processor.

Is it possible to share the input file? A log/f06/f04 file attachments would be helpful as well.

I will post the log, f04 and f06 files when I get a chance later. Unfortunately I cannot share the input deck.
I have managed to get a static solution to run by turning on GPU Computing. However, a normal modes solution still fails with the same error message.
This suggests to me some sort of uncontrolled memory overflow that should be solvable with the correct memory allocation settings.  Is there a single document anywhere that clearly sets out the switches and configuration files that control memory allocation (both from a system perspective and using NASTRAN switches?

Further to the earlier post, failed job files are attached.

Watching the task manager while the job is running, the job fails when the process (analysis.exe) gets up to about 500Mb.   The static job that runs with the GPU - the process grabs over 700Mb OK.