cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interference between parts modelled to nominal values

Pioneer
Pioneer
Greetings!

I run some tests on the moton simulation in NX6 and came across a thing I found strange. I can exlain it using en example. Let's assume we have a cylinder and a piston inside of it. Both internal diameter of cylinder and external dimater of piston have the same nominal value of, say, 20 mm and are supposed to be modelled like that most of the time. Of course, everybody knows that in reality there is a tiny clearance between those diameters. Yet when I run the simulation with interference packaging, software counts location of 20 mm piston within the 20 mm cylinder as a hard interference, the same as if piston was, say, 21 mm. I would've preferred it the other way - to count as interference only the cases when something inside it really bigger, and not when it has the same value. Is it possible to somehow set up the program to allow for the same size parts move into each other without regarding it as an interference?
Industry creates wealth.
5 REPLIES

Re: Interference between parts modelled to nominal values

N/A

"Maxim" wrote in message
news:Maxim.4ppvnn@noreply.bbsnotes.ugs.com...
>
> I run some tests on the moton simulation in NX6 and came across a thing
> I found strange. I can exlain it using en example. Let's assume we have
> a cylinder and a piston inside of it. Both internal diameter of cylinder
> and external dimater of piston have the same -nominal -value of, say, 20
> mm and are supposed to be modelled like that most of the time. Of
> course, everybody knows that in reality there is a tiny clearance
> between those diameters. Yet when I run the simulation with interference
> packaging, software counts location of 20 mm piston within the 20 mm
> cylinder as a hard interference, the same as if piston was, say, 21 mm.
> I would've preferred it the other way - to count as interference only
> the cases when something inside it really bigger, and not when it has
> the same value. Is it possible to somehow set up the program to allow
> for the -same - size parts move into each other without regarding it as
> an interference?

I can't speak for the analysis codes, but in the Assembly Clearance analysis
(which is part of Assemblies) the system does distinguish between a 'Hard'
interference and one which is merely 'Touching'. You can even add
'Clearance Zones' around components which when they are violated are
reported as 'Soft' interferences (there's also a 4th interference type,
'Containment', when one component is found to be completely INSIDE another).
--
John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
John.R.Baker@siemens.com

Re: Interference between parts modelled to nominal values

Pioneer
Pioneer
What you described seems to be valid for the assembly clearance analysis routine only, and not for the motion analysis. Or at least I could not find similar setup there. Hence the question. :confused: Anybody knows the answer?
Industry creates wealth.

Re: Interference between parts modelled to nominal values

N/A

"Maxim" wrote in message
news:Maxim.4pusib@noreply.bbsnotes.ugs.com...
>
> What you described seems to be valid for the assembly clearance analysis
> routine only, and not for the motion analysis. Or at least I could not
> find similar setup there. Hence the question. :confused: Anybody knows
> the answer?

I'm sorry if I didn't make myself clear enough; yes, I was only talking
about Assembly Clearance Analysis. If for no other reason than to confirm
that NX was capable of doing something like you were asking for. So if you
wish to open an ER (Enhancement Request) asking that behavior like this be
added to Motion Analysis, you'll at least can now reference the fact that it
works in other places inside NX and perhaps this will 'inspire' (I was going
to use the word 'embarrass' but... ;-) someone to check it out.
--
John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
John.R.Baker@siemens.com

Re: Interference between parts modelled to nominal values

Pioneer
Pioneer
Thanks for the hint. But before opening any requests I'd like to be sure the requested functionality is really missing from the Motion analysys. I'm not sure yet, for there is possibilty that I am simply missing it - I am no expert in that area of NX. Hopefully somebody will turn out who knows the solid answer.

BTW, how to open the ER? Smiley Tongue
Industry creates wealth.

Re: Interference between parts modelled to nominal values

N/A

"Maxim" wrote in message
news:Maxim.4pwnn0@noreply.bbsnotes.ugs.com...
>
> Thanks for the hint. But before opening any requests I'd like to be sure
> the requested functionality is really missing from the Motion analysys.
> I'm not sure yet, for there is possibilty that I am simply missing it -
> I am no expert in that area of NX. Hopefully somebody will turn out who
> knows the solid answer.
>
> BTW, how to open the ER? Smiley Tongue

What you need to do is open an IR (Incident Report) first, which if it
turns out that there really is missing functionality, it will be converted
into an ER. To open an IR you can either contact GTAC by phone and they
will open it for you, or you can go to...
Help -> Online Technical Support -> Log an Incident with Technical Support
....which will direct you to the Siemens PLM support website where you will
be asked to login using your webkey ID and password. This will take you to
a page where you can enter an on-line Incident Report which will be reviewed
by GTAC for follow-up and processing.
--
John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
John.R.Baker@siemens.com