Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

License types Enterprise or simply DMP?

I have recently been granted access to a cluster consisting of 516 nodes each with 16 cores.

Currently though I only have Desktop license and I have wrestled with the HPC trying to run my simulations. Of course I get the error message that the DECK has been created on a different computer and can therefore not be run. I understand that this limitation is in the license and that I need Enterprise license for this. I can however send my .sim .fem and .prt files to the HPC and open the GUI and thus create the .dat file. Or I can simply run the simulation in the GUI. This limits the number of cores I can use down to 16, which is hardly any better than my laptop. Trying to run the .dat file in commandline does not work, resulting in the same error.

Now recently I have come across some confusing information regarding DMP and Enterprise license and I am thus not sure which license I really need for this project. 

The enterprise license is said to allow simulations created on one computer to run on a different computer. 

The DMP license is said to be an add-on for basic or advanced license and will allow for computing on clusters.

Does this in reality mean that I need both, or can I manage with just one of them? 

Check links below for the info-brochures.

NX brochure, read about Enterprise

NX Nastran DMP add-on license

3 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author AndreasMH
‎10-14-2015 02:05 AM

Re: License types Enterprise or simply DMP?

A desktop license is limited to running a nastran input file on the same machine that it was generated on. You do not have to launch the solve from the pre-processor. You can launch from the command line if you specify the keyword "prog=desk". The prog(ram) keyword is what tells Nastran to use a desktop license if available. (If it can't find a desktop license, it will try to find an enterprise license.)

Most of the license features come as either desktop or enterprise (i.e. nx_nas_basic_dsk / nx_nas_basic_ent, nx_nas_nonlin_dsk / nx_nas_nonlin_ent). You need the correct one of these to run any analysis on any machine.

If you want to run DMP, you need one additional license (nx_nas_dmp_ent). This is only available as an enterprise license. There is no such thing as desktop DMP.

In short, it should be possible to run on the head node of your cluster with a desktop license. You would need to transfer the .fem and .sim to the cluster to open in NX and export the solver deck. You could launch the solve from NX or from the command line using the prog=desk keyword. If you want to run DMP, you will, at a minimum, need an additional DMP license.

Solution
Solution
‎03-02-2016 04:33 AM

JimB, 

thank you for such swift and obviously well-founded answers to my questions.

If I understand correctly I do absolutely need a DMP license to enable multiple nodes, and to obtain a DMP license I need an enterprise license. So my best option would perhaps be to upgrade one of my existing licenses(if possible).

This is a tad different than the licensing scheme for ABAQUS and ANSYS. Whilst NX allowes ~unlimited number of cores in the basic desktop license, the two others impose additional license fees for running on more than 1 or 2 cores respectively. 

once again, thanks for helping out.

Solution
Solution
‎03-02-2016 04:33 AM

Yes, that is correct. You need a DMP license and that can only be added to an existing enterprise license.