Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nastran Results Format

Creator
Creator

Hi

I would like to know the format of the nastran results.

Please share some info regarding this.

Is it possible to read the results from other CAE programs and transform it in to nastran result ?

thanks in advance

4 REPLIES

Re: Nastran Results Format

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Nastran can output results in many different formats: printed results in .f06 and punch files, binary results in output2, output4, xdb files, etc. To which results and which format are you referring?

Assuming you are talking about output2, the fomat of that file is documented in the https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nxnastran/11/help/#uid:index_dmap. See the Module Description for OUTPUT2 (which defines the general format of the file) and the Data Block descriptions for the specific results datablocks you are interested in.

Creator
Creator

Hello JimB,

thanks for the reply and I was talking about .OP2 file. 

In this case, I suppose, I should look for OUTPUT2 description.  

is OUTPUT4 much simpler ? It deals with only Matrices and should be sufficient for results.

thanks

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

It's hard to recommend any one format as you haven't specifically defined what you are trying to accomplish.

output4 is matrix oriented if you are simply trying to access a matrix.

There are utilities availablle that can read and write output4 from Matlab, for example.

The pyNastran project supports reading and writing BDF, F06, OP2 and OP4 via Python.

Creator
Creator

I want to read the .op2 file and mentioned which might be easy to read.

I havnt heard about PyNastran porject but will now look into it.

thanks