Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Press fit initial penetration

Experimenter
Experimenter

I read CesarGlez topic about "press fit" which is very useful,
So it is recommended to use the exact mesh to do pressfit simulation,
however In my case I need to keep my shape as it is which I have some penetration.

My case SOL101
I have spring pin(C shape) φ5mm press fit.overlapped width around 0.25 mm
Min. contact search dist. = -1 mm
Max. contact search dist. = +1mm

Mesh size is 2 mm (CTETRA10)Mesh size is 2 mm (CTETRA10)

Shall I keep using INIPENE=0, or I need to change it to INIPENE=3 then applied OFFSET ?
or any suggestion without changing a geometry.

Best regards
4 REPLIES

Re: Press fit initial penetration

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Due to the mis-matched mesh, you should get better results by setting INIPENE=3, then applying the OFFSET manually.

Note that if you are really interested in detailed stresses due to this press fit, you should really refine the mesh. This will not only give you better contact results, but your pin should have at least 3 elements through the thickness for good internal stress results. One element through the thickness is not sufficient.

If you are simply trying to model gross stiffness and load transfer in this joint as part of a much larger overall structure, then this mesh density and either contact approach is probably sufficient.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thank you very much jimB. I`ll try to use INIPENE=3 with finer mesh and check a result.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi,

sorry for my question but I am new with advanced simulation. How you make OFFSSET ? thanks

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

OFFSET can be specified:

1. As a region parameter on the BCRPARA card.
  2. As a contact set parameter on BCTPARA for Advanced Nonlinear solution sequences