Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

SOL153 - UNCLEAR ERROR in SOL 153

Hello Experts,

in my thermal analysis (SOL 153, steady state heat transfer) I found the following error message

*** USER FATAL MESSAGE 2101 (GP4)
     SCALAR POINT      5903744 ILLEGALLY DEFINED IN SETS   UM   US

several times.

Maybe it depends on RBE2-RBE3 spider connections defined by 1d-connection (edge-to-face) for the corresponding linear static model.

I try to derive a temperature distribution with SOL153 for that static model (Sol101) and for a well defined version of it I did create additional face-to-face gluings as perfect heat conductor without new grid points.

But maybe now some grid points belong to both, RBE2/RBE3 and gluings. Is this the reason for that message?

What means UM and US?

Can I set AutoMPC = YES and all the other parameters from static solution in the heat transfer too?

Time is really rare!!

Can some one help? Any suggestions will help,

With best regards, Michael

2 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author MiDi1791
‎04-25-2017 04:18 AM

Betreff: SOL153 - UNCLEAR ERROR in SOL 153

[ Edited ]

Problem solved.

I did define additionally a temperature constraint at my RBE2 - grid point as part  of a larger temp constraint and I forgot it.

After moving onto another part of that local structure the error was gone.

Betreff: SOL153 - UNCLEAR ERROR in SOL 153

Glad you have solved the issue.

Just to provide an explanation for the original message, "ILLEGALLY DEFINED IN SETS   UM   US" means that a dof appears in both the M set and the S set, which are mutually exclusive.

Nastran set notation is documented in section 8 of the QRG: "Degree-of-Freedom Sets"

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nxnastran/11/help#uid:index_QRG:id512186

The M set contains dof that are dependent in multipoint constraint definitions (MPC, RBE, etc.). The S set are DOF that are removed by single point constraints.

in SOL 153, temperatures are the unknowns and a nodal temperature is a constraint (SPC).

As you have found, you cannot define a temperature constraint on a dof that is dependent in a MPC/RBE.