Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

SOL601,129 PCG solver question

So I got the model working originally with CTETRA4s and 2 mm element size and now I want to refine the entire model using CTETRA10s and 1 mm element size, which results in something like just under 500,000 elements.

In my original model, there were about 180,000 equations for the direct sparse solver to work on (~180,000 CTETRA4s) so that's fine.

But now, with the refined model, it's more like 4.6 million equations for it to solve and my system only has 32 GB of RAM and no SSDs.

Is there a way for me to force it to use the PCG solver instead of the direct sparse or the 3D iterative solver?

I've set scratch=no now and I've also tried using sys216=yes and sys399=yes (and it said that the element iterative solver is only available for linear statics), so I reduced that back down to only sys216=yes and it doesn't seem to be doing anything - it still go back to using the direct sparse solver instead.

BESIDES getting better hardware, is there a way that I can force it to use the PCG iterative solver?

I tried doing some research to see if that was even an available option for SOL601,129 but to no avail.

Any comments or suggestions or advice on how I would be able to run this better/more efficiently on said given hardware would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

9 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by Ganesh_S (Community Manager)
‎06-29-2017 05:11 PM

Re: SOL601,129 PCG solver question

NX Nastran Advanced Nonlinear (SOLs 601,x & 701) is based on Adina, which does not implement the same solvers or solver controls as standard NX Nastran solutions.

The Advanced Nonlinear 3D iterative solver, for use with dense, higher order meshes, is selected via SOLVER=2 on NXSTRAT.

Forgive my dumb questions, but is there documentation about how the 3D iterative solver differs from the PCG iterative solver?

Thanks.

alpha754293 wrote:

Forgive my dumb questions, but is there documentation about how the 3D iterative solver differs from the PCG iterative solver?

Thanks.

Here's some info from Adina directly, circa 2007: http://www.adina.com/newsgD10.shtml

Thanks.

I'm still not sure if I understand the difference between how the ADINA 3D iterative solver works vs. the PCG solver, so if there are other people who might be able to provide other additional resources, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Does anybody know if I can use the DMP option for SOL601,129?

SMP is supported for Advanced Nonlinear. DMP is not.

Is there like a table or something that shows me which solution types DMP supports?

Thanks.

[ Edited ]

There's an entire Parallel Processing User's Guide

See section 1.6

Thanks.

Yeah, I saw that. I didn't realise that was inclusive already.

I thought that it was just an example.

Hahaha...thank you.

*dawns dunce cap*