Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

simulating bimetallic effect

[ Edited ]

hello,

i want to simulate the bending because of different expansions of two materials which are connected with screws. But I've no idea how to do this with nx (which solver etc).

I calculated the elongation of the two materials and the amount of bending like here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=131WPhKnFsA

the elongation was about 0,09 mm and the amount of bending about 0,11

I applied an enforced load on the ends of the two rails (0,05 left and 0,05 mm right) and fixed the girder with a few nodes in the middle (backside).

furthermore i connected the rails with a face gluing contact

the bending in the result was also about 0,1 mm

but as mentioned above, i want to simulate it with temperature (delta T = 20K / alpha1=6 / alpha2 = 12). In the material properties i entered the thermal expansion coefficient, E-module, density and poissons ratio.

any suggestions how to proceed?

thanks in advance

2 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author spell
‎01-12-2016 04:16 PM

Re: simulating bimetallic effect

If the materials have been defined appropriately (with different thermal expansion coefficients), then all you need to do is apply a uniform temperature difference.

In SOL 101 (linear statics), create an initial temperature with an appropriate default temperature (i.e. 20C). Create a temperature load with a different default temperature (i.e. 100C).

The solution will compute the expansion for a delta T of 80C.

Re: simulating bimetallic effect

[ Edited ]

tank you! This was easier than expected.

btw: I got a warning message because of the glueing connection

dunno why :-/ edit: found it: https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/NX-Nastran-Forum/What-does-USER-WARNING-MESSAGE-4690...

is it practical to use this kind of connection (glue connection) to simulate the screw joints?

Its the only way the rails dont slide, even when I use surface contact with friction coefficient 5 and 7000N force to push the rail on the girder