Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

stress simulation

hi i am wanting to design a anttenna made from steel tubing its going to be very high and i want be able simulate if the steel tubing is not big enough i want to be able to see if when standing vertical if it will bend over to much can any one advise

4 REPLIES

Re: stress simulation

Hello!,

First use beam elements to get a quick answer of both displacements & stress results using both linear static (SOL101) and also nonlinear static solutions (SOL106) to compare results. Also you can run a linear buckling analysis (SOL105) to get an idea about the buckling load factor.

Repeat the model using shell elements, this will give you insigh information of the local stress results in the intersections between tubes, that´s all -- enjoy!!.

Best regards,

Blas.

Blas Molero Hidalgo, Ingeniero Industrial, Director
IBERISA • 48004 BILBAO (SPAIN)
WEB: http://www.iberisa.com
Blog Femap-NX Nastran: http://iberisa.wordpress.com/

hi thanks for your reply i currently have a 28mm od aluminium pipe with small flag on the end under no wind conditions it does not flex. but a slight wind makes it flex and sometimes it will sway abit is it possible to simulate the flex in worst case scenario

the idea is i don't want to buy expensive steel pipe and errect it and find that it bends horizontal sorry for doble i don't know how to edit my messages

You can still simulate this with buckling. Apply a unit load in the wind direction at the top of the pole to simulate the interaction of the wind and the flag. The buckling analysis will output a load factor for the first buckling mode. The total load for that buckling mode is the product of the unit load and the load factor. As you increase the stiffness of the beam cross section, or decrease the height of the pole, you should see the load factor increase.

A strong enough wind will cause the pole to sway even without a flag. To simulate that you would have to apply a distributed load along the length of the pole in the wind direction. Do a buckling analysis with just this load. Do a buckling analysis with the combination of the loads as well.

If you have a horizontal displacement limit that is far below that required for buckling, then skip the buckling aspect and just do linear statics analyses.

Regards,

Mark

Mark Lamping

Simulation Product Management

Product Engineering Software

Siemens Industry Sector

Siemens Product Lifecycle Management Software Inc.

mark.lamping@siemens.com