cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Break material in Sol601 o 701

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi everyone, i´ve a question,if i want see how  the material breaks, what is the option that should be active and where is it?, on other hand, the Sol601 is able for can this analysis, or only Sol701 can?
 Also, the Sol701 can study 3D elements? or only 2D elements?. what are the considerations i should take for run an analysis of this type?. I am a mold and die designer and this option would help me for study the behavior of sheet metal when die is closed and in what way material breaks if should be neccesary. thanks 

5 REPLIES

Re: Break material in Sol601 o 701

Creator
Creator

Hello,

basically both solvers.

SOL 701 works with 3D elements (and others), but compared to SOL 601 there are some exceptions, just look at the nonlinear guideline (f.e. instead od TETRA10 linear TETRA4 only etc.).

SOL 601 is implicit, SOL 701 is explicit and its usage is more known for wave propagation problems.

So decision is what causes the rupture - what conditions such as speed etc.

Although the break is very quick, there is possibility to use transient implicit SOL 601-129 instead of explicit.

Here is topic here someone modelled structure rupture, have a look.

Hope it helps,

regards, Jan

Genius
Genius

Never managed to get rupture working in 601. Unless some have an example to prove otherwise.

In a meantime, here  goes some 701 examples you may want to look into

Charles

Creator
Creator

Hello CWilson,

I managed in SOL 601-129 and compare to SOL 701 it was more convinient (this is not general opinion, just for our specific example).

I remember it was f.e. applied on exmaples similar to this, see the animation with the ladder.

The edge of first transom was weakened in order to simulate propagation. If I remember correctly there were some supporting weak springs and it was neccesary to activate some strategic parematers (ATS, MSTAB, impact proceeding...)

Genius
Genius

You mean something like below.

Post examples! if you have any, all up to see how you and others are acheiving this.

601-rupture.jpg

Highlighted

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thank you all for your answers, but in reality I do not have a specific model at this time, but I am documented, because this type of studies where there are fractures in between, I will begin to request, so my concern know what kind of consideration and parameters should be taken into account at the time of doing these studies, including at this time I have a study of metal forming in which I could not make the solution go as far as it should go. regards