Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

Choosing the transient thermal step result for a structural analysis preload

Hello,

I'm doing a thermal transient analysis with thermal flow, and use the result as a temperature preload for a structural analysis. By default, the last step of the transient results is used for the preload. Is it possible to choose the result step of the thermal analysis for the preload ?

The ultimate goal would be to create one structural subcase for each result step of the thermal transient analysis, thus creating a transient thermomechanical model.

For now, I've "cheated" by creating chained transient thermal solutions : the initial conditions of transient solution N are the results of transient solution N-1, wich gives the result step N, etc.

In the structural subcases, I then use thermal result N as preload for subcase N, etc., creating a transient thermomechanical solution.

But this way of doing things is limited and lack in efficiency. Does someone have a better solution ?

Thanks

3 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by Ganesh_S (Community Manager)
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

Re: Choosing the transient thermal step result for a structural analysis preload

Merlin,

The elegant way of doing this is with the coupled thermal-structural solution in NX multiphysics, which is available starting in NX9. Advanced Thermal and Nastran licenses are required.

Otherwise, if you are using NX10, in Post you could create a field for each thermal step, then import the fields into the structural sim. You could then create a separate thermal load from each field, or create a 4D field which could then be used in a transient solution.

Phil

Philippe Tremblay
phillippe.tremblay.ext@siemens.com
www.mayahtt.com

Re: Choosing the transient thermal step result for a structural analysis preload

Thanks, I'll try that.

In practice, how do you do that ? How can you choose the steps of the thermal analysis that will feed the mechanical analysis ?